lens for my Cannon EF (would like suggestions)

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a deicent zoom lens for my Cannon EF, If I can afford it I'll love it. Got a shot I want to take from roughly a quarter mile out, My 50mm will get the subject I want clearly but way too much will be left to crop out. I finally have enough insentive to get a new lens, given my income I've been putting it off despite having use for it.

Any suggestions on an affordable lens, It dosen't have to be too awful long this particular subjects owners paid good money to be seen for miles.

EF 70-200 f/4 L. Awesome lens for the money for several reasons: 1) Great range & fast AF 2) Dust & moisture sealed 3) Outstanding Image Quality 4) f/4 throughout 5) It's an L for about $600. There are more reasons I am sure. I will recommend it to anyone wanting a decent zoom. You will thank me later.

if your subject is a quarter mile away, You'll need to spend some money on a really long lens or a very sharp one that allows for descent cropping. I guess it depends on the subject, but my 400mm would probably not suffice if the subject was a house at that distance.
The recommended 200mm is one of Canon's sharpest lenses, but it will cost ya.

second the 28-135 IS.. good bang for the buck.

but you really should tell us a budget.

I make only around 400 to 600 USD a month and I get paid monthly.

if your subject is a quarter mile away, You'll need to spend some money on a really long lens or a very sharp one that allows for descent cropping. I guess it depends on the subject, but my 400mm would probably not suffice if the subject was a house at that distance.
The recommended 200mm is one of Canon's sharpest lenses, but it will cost ya.

The subject is huge, Like I mentioned they spent a lot of money to be seen for miles. The picture below has the subject in it and I pionted out its size with the red lines. This picture was taken with my digital point/shoot with the 37mm-111mm equivalent OAL at it's widest. This camera however is incapable of taking night shots, I've compensated in every way I can think of for other night shots, all have failed. So I am not even gonna bother to try this shot with this thing and am going with the cannon, I know that'll do it.

(as seen in this thread http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91519 )

539j.jpg

EF 70-200 f/4 L. Awesome lens for the money for several reasons: 1) Great range & fast AF 2) Dust & moisture sealed 3) Outstanding Image Quality 4) f/4 throughout 5) It's an L for about $600. There are more reasons I am sure. I will recommend it to anyone wanting a decent zoom. You will thank me later.
actually the non-IS f/4 version of this lens is the only L series lens in production that is not weather sealed. you still get the white L bag and the lens hood annd all other L related things but no sealing.

second the 28-135 IS.. good bang for the buck.

but you really should tell us a budget.
I make only around 400 to 600 USD a month and I get paid monthly.

Also note, with that income I have never bought a lens and need to be certain it will fit my archaic device.

What do you mean by archaic device?

Lens is a big investment, definitely buy what you originally want and don't settle for what you can afford. Save up and buy what you want. Lenses will hold about 90% of their value if you buy new. Especially if you buy good glass.

Judging by your picture that you posted you would need a zoom in the 100s of millimeters to be sure. The 75-300 is a very cheap option that will get you started, its not terrible glass but its not the best either. And you can probably find someone selling it cheaply around the forums. But if you are consistently shooting from that distance I know I would use my 170-500 Sigma.

What do you mean by archaic device?

camera.jpg

Consitering these went on the market in the mid seventies I would call it archaic as far as equipment goes.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, Here is the breech lock mount I am refering to.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/100_2202.jpg

*EDIT* Yes I do know there is older and I have older, but nothing I would use seriously.*END EDIT*

Lens is a big investment, definitely buy what you originally want and don't settle for what you can afford. Save up and buy what you want. Lenses will hold about 90% of their value if you buy new. Especially if you buy good glass.

All the new lenses I have looked at, the mounting looks diffrent and to be honest I don't know just how interchangable they are to the older cameras, if at all.

A EF 70-300 or older 75-300 wouldn't be too bad if you are on a budget and need the zoom right away. A tripod would be great so you can take longer exposures at a narrow aperature to try and get as much resolution as possible for cropping later on. Since your subject isn't moving, you should be able to get decent shots.

I think I'm going to have to stick with the FD series lens, closest to the suggested is the FD 100 - 200mm f/5.6 S.C. I was hoping to find some thing slightly newer and maybe S.S.C, but meh. Now I just gotta find one before the snow flies.

Yeah I don't believe you can use EF lenses on that camera.

This will probably be my next lens, for the reasons you state. The AF is indeed fast, and I've learned to appreciate that.

That's an FD mount lens and no it is not compatible with EOS cameras. However, I have an Fd mount Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm 28-4.0 zoom. The series 1 series was meant to compete with Canon's L lineup. I might be able to work up a deal with you. PM me if you're interested.

(once again it will not work with your digital Canon's)

By the way, to clear things up: "EF" is also the mount system modern Canon's use, yet the "Canon EF" does not use "EF" lenses. It uses "FD" lenses. vJust a confusing name. Every other eccomendation on this thread so far won't fit your camera, they are EF lenses, mine is Fd and will fit your camera.

Most reactions

Back