Lens for Nikon D60

magicthegatherist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good evening everyone,

I recently purchased (recieved by about 13 hours ago by mail) a Nikon D60 DSLR body-only camera. I didn't realize, being completely new to the SLR world, that body only meant *no* lenses included in the kit. Although a bit disappointing, I'm keen on finding out where I should go from here in buying a lens.

I'm going to be doing alot of mixed work, so I'm not in need of something specific to landscapes or still life, sports, etc.

I'm trying to keep my price cap at around 250.00 CAN$ (maybe more if something is highly suggested). I understand that doesn't go far, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

250 isnt really going to get you anything decent that will cover a multitude of areas... unless you find something used... the Nikkor 18-105 or 18-135 are pretty decent walk around lens' but your going to have to increase your budget some.. the 18-135 is 329 (CAD) and the 180195 is 379

I agree. i just bought the d60 with the 18-55 kit lens about 2 weeks ago and I'm finding that I have restrictions with the 18-55 lens. I would recommend getting the 18-135. Go as far as you can possibly go. While it is hard to stretch your budget, it is well worth it. This is coming from someone that has this camera. Also, I'd recommend getting the 50mm f/1.8 lens whenever you can afford it.

Due to your tight budget I'd suggest maybe looking at non-nikon lenses.

For example a pairing of :-

Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6
and
Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6

would come close to your budget and fit a good range of use. They're both on the slow side which isn't ideal but due to the tight budget it's not likely you'll do better for the price. They'll also probably not have the ultimate IQ of Nikon lenses BUT for getting started and doing smaller prints they should be fine. I use a 70-300 Sigma on my pentax which I'm more than happy with.

Getting a fast prime ( prime is a non-zoom ) lens such as the 50mm f1.7 (ish) lens is good for countering the slowness of the zooms and manual focus examples should be available very cheaply.

Alright, I'll certainly be looking into the ones mentioned thus far.

Where can I find a good source on compatibility with regard to non-Nikon lenses? I'm unfamiliar with how some lens formats are incompatible with different camera makes. Any info on this would be great.

Thanks again.

Where can I find a good source on compatibility with regard to non-Nikon lenses? I'm unfamiliar with how some lens formats are incompatible with different camera makes. Any info on this would be great.

Thanks again.

I don't use Nikon, but all you have to do is find out the mount. Maybe DX or FX mount? I'm not entirely sure, but it'll be listed something like that.

Thanks again.
Well, Nikon has used the same lens mount for the last 40 years, I think, so provided it's a Nikon F mount (Usualy referred to as just "Nikon" or "Nikon AF" etc), it'll fit. However, one thing to keep in mind is that the D40, D40x and D60 cameras don't have built-in focusing motors. This means that you'll only be able to autofocus with Nikon's AF-S or AF-I lenses, with Sigma's HSM lenses, and any other lens with a focusing motor inside. If you don't have one of these lenses (e.g. Nikon AF-D), then everything will work except the autofocus.

Alrighty, well thankyou all for the advice..

As it turns out, as a belated birthday present, my brother bought me an 18-55mm Nikkor AF lens (the one that comes with the D60 + lens package, I can't remember the details and I'm not at home).

I'm going to be purchasing another one soon regardless, and I'll probably be looking into something for macro shots.

The 18-55 is a very good lens in most conditions. It and the D60 are capable of incredible shots.

Play around with the 18-55 for a while. It's not a true macro lens, but it does have amazingly close focus and great quality for such an inexpensive lens.

Don't worry about buying something else just yet -- if you're just starting out, it's a good plan to spend your time thinking about photos rather than equipment!

Last edited:
i say get a 18-70 One of Nikon's best built "kit-lens"
I dont know how much they go for up north though sorry

Play around with the 18-55 for a while. It's not a true macro lens, but it does have amazingly close focus and great quality for such an inexpensive lens.

Don't worry about buying something else just yet -- if you're just starting out, it's a good plan to spend your time thinking about photos rather than equipment!

I agree. The kit 18-55 lens is a great lens for the $, very sharp. I've got a multitude of great shots with it.

Most reactions

Back