Lens for street photography.

Elias

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eliasl.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in need of a new lens for street photography. I currently have a 70-300 and an 18-55. I have a canon 550d. I was looking at possibly a 35 1.4.

Anything TPF would recommend?

Its a Good lens. your in the uk i think, this link my interest you if you decide to try before buying
Canon EF 35mm f 1 4 L USM

Ive used the canon 10-22mm in aug,and the service they provide is Fantastic. No Deposit required.comes with its own insurance. there offer a service im glad that i found. Too poor to buy the lenses i want :(

Its a Good lens. your in the uk i think, this link my interest you if you decide to try before buying
Canon EF 35mm f 1 4 L USM

Ive used the canon 10-22mm in aug,and the service they provide is Fantastic. No Deposit required.comes with its own insurance. there offer a service im glad that i found. Too poor to buy the lenses i want :(

Thanks I was infact looking for a site like this!

Cheers. How was the 10-22?

Was a Dream. Granted,it doesent Have Is,But it was allways used on a Tripod when low light,and for landscapes.This image is a Hdr render(not the Best i must admit) But its was rather Dull,and the sun had just set.
barmouth.jpg

For street photography, I much preferred starting in the 21, 24, 28mm focal ranges. The beginning of wide (for good DOF too) but not so much that its obvious with distortions. When I shot with canon the 24mm f/1.4L was a nice example.

On a crop camera, the 35mm would acceptable (I used it a bit too) but a little too narrow.

There really is no Street Lens. As it comes down to the individual needs and style.
So any lens can be used as their preferred street lens.

The ultra-wides like the Sigma 10-20 is more specialized and less preferred for street. But can be used for capturing around town. And a more capture the city wide kind of images.

Rainy Day - PDX by orb9220, on Flickr

And many like myself prefer fast f2.8 zoom over primes like the My tamron 17-50 2.8. As the problem for me with primes is the time loss due to feet zooming to compose and frame the shot missing the action. To having the wrong prime on for the situation where you may need wider like indoors or further reach to isolate subject.

As I can Go from 17mm

Bankcorp Rainy B&W - 1 of 3 by orb9220, on Flickr

to 50mm in just a second or two.

Red Blast by orb9220, on Flickr

For my style of shooting I would have problems with primes. Have used the 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 and don't get me wrong they are great lenses. And have used them out and about walkabouts around town. They just aren't my first choice of my personal style and needs. Yours may differ.

Have even used my 55-200vr as a main street lens for a solid month or so. And still covered a lot based again on my needs and style in many street and events shooting.

So really comes down to perfect street lens for You! as may be different for other's.
So only you can determine based on what you like to shoot will determine the right street lens for you.

I like to carry a 20mm prime, along with an 85mm.

The 20mm is good for tight quarters, the 85 is great for candids.

as stated above, there is no "street photography lens" I've shot numerous time with just my 80-200. You just get creative with whatever focal range you have.

Most reactions

Back