Lens help... (img heavy)

Wild Sage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, I hope this is the correct one.

I recently came into possession of my grandfather's old Nikon F4, as well as several lenses and other equipment. I'd really like to start using the lens on my current digital Nikon, but I'm not quite sure what the lens/equipment are or what they do. Any help on the quality/function/type of these lens would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0441.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0440.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

The item in picture #4 is a teleconverter. Yours is a 3x. What is does is gives the effect of using a longer lens. The downside is that they eat alot of light so it's best to use on a really sunny day.

#7 appears to be a something to 200mm telephoto.

#9 looks is a close up adapter. Sort of like a magnifying glass. Good for close ups like bugs and flowers.

All of these are manual focus. I would not hesitate to use any of it.

Not much help...sorry:D

#2 seems to be a Vivitar 283 flash. And you may NOT want to use it in your Nikon Digital SLR camera without checking if it accept trigger voltage over 200v.

Since they are full frame film lenses, there will be some conversion with your cropped digital sensor, and depending on which camera you have you may not be able to use metering, or AF.

1. first lens is a Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 prime
2. Some flash, which may not be compatible with your digital camera. Some of the older flashes have a high voltage that can damage your digital camera's flash mount...so do some research before you use it.
3. 52mm filter, need a better view to know if its a polarizer/ND/UV, etc.
4. 3x converter. Adds 3x to whatever lens you put on the front of it.
5. A telephoto more than likely. f/2.5 to f/3.5 Dont know what range it is though.
6. xx-200mm telephoto f/2.8-f/32
7. some lens probably between 12-35mm
8. gels, filters, or lens caps?

Dao: Hrmn well doing some preliminary research, my Nikon D40 can take about 250 volts, however the model of my flash can go up to 400. I heard a flash safe sync could help up to 400, but my model of flash is said to go up to 600...I will have to look into it more. Thanks for the warning!

bdavidson: I found the fstop is just "--" when I put the lens on, I don't know if it's because it's at a fixed aperature or what. Besides that the metering works fine, at least the one's I've tried. Thanks : )

Also on the telephoto lenses...make sure that at full range both ways, that the rear of the lens doesnt stick out too far and bump your mirror in your camera.

bdavidson: I found the fstop is just "--" when I put the lens on, I don't know if it's because it's at a fixed aperature or what. Besides that the metering works fine, at least the one's I've tried. Thanks : )

That is because the lens does not have the electrical contacts to tell yout D40 what it is. You can still use the lens but you will have to adjust the aperture manually. Not a big deal really. Just turn the little ring closest to the mount labled 2.8-22 or whatever it says. It may take a little trial and error to get the correct exposure but it's easily done once you see how changing things effects the image.

Ah thanks, that's useful to know : D I was wondering about that.

bdavison: Oof thanks, I didn't even consider that > <

That last one might be a 35mm f/2 but I cant really tell. It has some filter or something screwed on to it.

If you can post a shot of the front of the lens, we could probably tell you what each of them are. Most of the info is etched into the frame around the front element.

In any case, its a gold mine in my opinion. Id like to get my hands on a collection of older lenses just to play around with them. I keep watching yard sales and flea markets around here, but most of the used stuff is canon or minolta stuff.

Hmm alrighty, will do.

And yeah I know! I was just telling my grandfather how I was looking for a cheap film camera and he took out his old Nikon from the seventies and all his equipment o_O; There's still one more lens I need to get from him, and apparently it's a huuuge telephoto lens.

Hmm alrighty, will do.

And yeah I know! I was just telling my grandfather how I was looking for a cheap film camera and he took out his old Nikon from the seventies and all his equipment o_O; There's still one more lens I need to get from him, and apparently it's a huuuge telephoto lens.

Hopefully its a 200-500mm f/2....:mrgreen:

In any case, its a gold mine in my opinion. Id like to get my hands on a collection of older lenses just to play around with them. I keep watching yard sales and flea markets around here, but most of the used stuff is canon or minolta stuff.

I agree, good stuff!

Most reactions

Back