Lens help!

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by MrsLittle, Feb 6, 2012.

1. MrsLittle

MrsLittle TPF Noob!

Incirlik Air Base, Adana Turkey (thank you Air For
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know I'm being pretty annoying with my constant lens advice question but I want to make sure I get it right the first time and not have regrets.
    So I already have the 50 1.8g and I was going to pick up another lens and couldn't decide between the 85 1.4 or 24-70. Looking at photos and the fact that I think primes suit me better, what do you think if I pick up the 85 1.4g and 35 1.8g to go with my 50? I just doesn't make sense to get the 24-70 when my 50 falls in the middle of that range and I don't need to go any wider than 35, since I shoot mostly portraits anyways.
    Please tell this is a good choice.

2. Trever1t

Trever1t Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the 50 is no replacement or even comparable to the 24-70. The 85 is one lens I really am looking to add to my small collenction. 85mm f1.4 (on an FX) is the most common "portrait" lens, highly respected. 24-70 is obviously more versatile. You decide!

3. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't consider the 24-70 and the 50 to be lenses you can compare really. To me the 50 is a low light general purpose lens... with limited application (for me, at least.. I use my 50 1.4 primarily only for studio work). The 24-70 rocks in situations where I need something fairly fast, light-wise.. and the ability to shoot fast changing subjects at a variety of distances. The 24-70 also does very well for portraits... and it is much more versatile in a crowded room, or in limited space then the 50 or the 85, especially on a crop sensor. Try shooting a full body portrait with an 85.. in the average living room.. you can't do it! Probably can't do it with a 50 either. It just depends on what you shoot, and how you shoot.. and only you know that.

Roughly:

If you need low light capability, or really killer bokeh... go with the large aperture primes

If you need real (Fast) versatility for a lot of different situations, as well as a good portrait lens.... go 24-70

4. Trever1t

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should add, I have both the 50 1.8 and the 24-70 and I've never used the 50mm for very much.

5. MrsLittle

MrsLittle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Did you shoot those huge group shots with the 24-70? They are very nice. How is the 24-70 on sharpness and bokeh? Do you find it to be as good as a prime or close to an 85 1.4?

6. analog.universe

analog.universe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally love having larger aperture primes, so I would say yes, good idea. I actually have 24/35/50/85 and they're quite nice together, I never crave a zoom. The 24-70 is a workhorse lens. It gets a variety of shots quickly with reasonably high quality. However, a 1.4 prime gets you 4 times more light, and more options for creative depth of field. (and typically prettier bokeh, but I don't really know what the 24-70 looks like in that respect, could be awesome)

So I'd say 24-70 if you need quick shots of different types all day long, primes if you have time to mess around a little and want the most creative freedom.

7. MrsLittle

MrsLittle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It confused me when i would see people make that argument about not wanting the 24-70 because they already had the 35 and 50. Since I don't own the 24-70 I was wondering that myself, whether they were even comparable in sharpness and quality.

8. Trever1t

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the 24-70 is as sharp as about any prime within that range. It's of the highest quality and as mention a workhorse without sacrificing quality. BUT. It isn't 1.4f and to a portrait artist that's a big BUT.

You don't say what body you intend to mount this lens...

If I had to choose between one or the other for portrait use only I'd have that 85f1.4. :)

9. cgipson1

cgipson1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Primes are inherently better... much less complex! But the 24-70 (and the 70-200) are as close to primes as you can get. Without pixel peeping, you won't see a difference 99.9% of the time! Pro lenses are pro lenses... they are designed to deliver pro quality.. that is why they cost so dang much! :)

10. analog.universe

analog.universe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In terms of sharpness, those top zooms do rival the primes. The main difference in image quality between them I think is the more subtle subjective stuff. I feel like the 24-70 and 70-200 always produce clean straightforward shots, very reliable, but not exactly inspiring. Certain primes can render a scene with more flavor, whether it's bokeh quality, sense of depth, the style of the in-focus to out-of-focus transition... Which one is more appropriate all depends on your approach.

11. MrsLittle

MrsLittle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well with 5 little ones it would make more sense to have the versatility of the 24-70. I might just wait for the 85 1.8g and pick that up later.

12. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Since you already have a really nice 50mm prime, the 35 and 85 might not be different enough from the 50mm to warrant the expense. Instead, I'd suggest a 20mm f2.8 prime (if you have a body with an AF motor), or perhaps a 105mm f2.8 micro.

A 70-200mm f2.8 (or the older 80-200mm version) would also be recommended.