Lens Help

TaylorBoi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello people. I've been granted a press pass to shoot High School State Championship football but need some lens suggestions to do so. I have a Canon 7D with 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I've had the opportunity to shoot Football games a few weeks ago and the 70-200 did well since there were no limits to where I could shoot from....I noticed last year at these particular games all photographers were behind the end zone and thats it. I'm wondering what are some other lens options to get the job done.

Gear
Canon 7D
Kit Lens
70-200mm f2.8 MK II

Thanks for the help

a 400 or a 500mm maybe?

Depends whether you have to stay at that end, or if you will be given freedom to roam again.

As bright said 400mm and 500mm are good, also consider the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.
It will allow you play with the zoom range.

Rent a 300mm f/2.8. It'll get the job done, and it's extremely sharp wide open, and as sharp as can be at f/4 which you'll need unless the game is played in bright daylight.

I'll be able to roam freely as I just got word from the guy that's handing passes out on Saturday morning.

I was looking into this option as the 400mm and 500mm were kinda pricey for 3days. Unfortunately the 300mm f2.8 is out of stock at BorrowLenses.com. All they had available was the F4 version.

no local shops to rent from? There a few, here, in the area still around...

Rent a 300mm f/2.8. It'll get the job done, and it's extremely sharp wide open, and as sharp as can be at f/4 which you'll need unless the game is played in bright daylight.

I'll be able to roam freely as I just got word from the guy that's handing passes out on Saturday morning.

I was looking into this option as the 400mm and 500mm were kinda pricey for 3days. Unfortunately the 300mm f2.8 is out of stock at BorrowLenses.com. All they had available was the F4 version.

Did you check LensRentals.com? I find that once you add up the total price for the rental (e.g. add all charges ... not just the advertised charge for the rental period) that they were usually a little less expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back