Lens hood + polarizer

You can get a rubber lens hood that screws onto the filter itself. Then you just turn the hood, and the ring turns.

You can also cut a notch out of one side of the hood to allow your fingertip to go through and turn the hood. Some hoods come with a notch.

I'm guessing the ones that spin are circular hoods? The one I have now is a petal and from my understanding spinning it would pretty much ruin any benefits of the petal shape.

A circular polarizing filter has two elements (I think) and you can vary the polarizing effect by rotating one element.

Oh dam, i'm an idiot. Mine spins and I always wondered why.... hmm I have to figure out how to use it now...lol...

You'll notice that if your shooting a sunny scene and you spin the polarizer the image that you see in the viewfinder will change because the amount of polarization is changing.

SLOShooter said:
I'm guessing the ones that spin are circular hoods? The one I have now is a petal and from my understanding spinning it would pretty much ruin any benefits of the petal shape.

Yes. The petal style hood is usually a bayonet mount, so that it always sets correctly aligned.

Just a point, but it may be an important one.

A linear polarising filter consists of only one sheet of glass, with some sort of "grid" manufactured within it.

I anticipate that the same will be true with a "circular" polarising filter - it is just that the grid is cirular rather than running in parallel lines.

Another point thus arises. A circular piece of glass can contain parallel lines, and be a linear filter. A square filter can have a concentric circular grid, and thus be a circular polariser.

Don't be fooled by the physical shape of the filter, it is the grid pattern that counts.

Most reactions

Back