Lens hood size for MAMIYA ruby standard/Tower 18b?

Str4yw0lf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

So i just purchased the Mamiya Ruby Standard f/2 48mm rangefinder, and importantly this is my first ever rangefinder camera or rather first ever manual analog camera (all the while I've been using point'n'shoots).

And as a typical newbie not having the slightest idea, and due to the severely lacking information regarding lens hood for analog cameras online, I went and bought me a screw-in 48mm lens hood (vented metal) from a guy who had used it for his Canonet QL17iii.

The newbie in me thought that since my Mamiya spots a 48mm lens, and both it and the Canonet are fixed-lens rangefinders the 48mm lens hood would be fitting. But the thing is, if it had been fitting I wouldn't have created this thread!

Can someone please advise me on what size of lens hood I should get for the Mamiya Ruby Standard?

The 48mm marked on the lens refers to the focal length of the lens whereas 48mm on the lens hood refers to the diameter of the thread that attaches the lens hood to a lens and has nothing to do with the lens focal length.
From what I can gather the camera originally had a custom slip-on type lens hood but they are hard to find and expensive. The lens however does seem to accept 40.5mm screw-in filters so you could use a 40.5mm rubber or metal hood.

I looked at several on-line references,none of which listed the filter thread diameter; probably the easiest way to arrive at the needed size would be measuring the thread diameter itself,using a precision steel rule.

Last edited:
I looked at several on-line references,none of which listed the filter thread diameter; probably the easiest way to arrive at the needed size would be measuring the thread diameter itself,using a precision steel rule.
I agree there is not much info out there but this link Mamiya 35 Ruby - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia shows a Mamiya Ruby with filter attached. Also I seem to recall they used the same size filter thread on their C220/C330 lenses.

Most reactions

Back