Lens issue (soft on right side at/near infinity focus)

Malavok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my Tamron 90mm Macro lens.

It isn't a big deal, since it doesn't affect macro photography, but I'm still curious what is going on. I'm not very tech-savvy when it comes to lenses.

The right 1/4th of my images when focused at infinity (i.e., taking a landscape shot) are extremely blurry and soft. They gradually get softer at about 1/3 of the way from the right edge, and get softer closer to the edge. Left 70% is still tack-sharp.

I thought it might be decentering; however, I flipped the camera upside down and took a pic and it's still soft on the right.

I tested with macro shots (not at infinity) and there is no issue.

The softness is less noticeable above f/11.

No issues with other lenses, so it's definitely a lens issue.

Thanks.

Indeed. That is truly bizarre. It seems like there could be an element loose inside the lens that gets out of kilter when the focus mechanism is fully retracted but that is pure conjecture. I wonder if the lens has sustained some damage at some time.

I thought it might be decentering; however, I flipped the camera upside down and took a pic and it's still soft on the right...........

Does this mean it's still soft on the right after you invert the image in post? Or is the other half of the scene blurry?

What camera ? Didn't one of the Nikon have trouble with focus on one side

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back