Lens mount ripped off of camera

As the pictures below indicate my lens mount has been ripped off of the body completly and is currently stuck to the back of my 70-200. I dont think any damage has been done to my lens but i'm guessing i'm going to have to spend quite a bit on repairs for my camera.
I suppose my question is does anyone know if any damage has been done to the lens itself and whether repairing my d80 would be worth it or if i should get a new camera. Also how much would the repairs cost me?

IMG_2909.jpg

I think the black against the organ background is an interesting color-scheme. But I don't you you quite nailed the focus, and the dead center composition is generally not the best for this type of shot, IMHO. You should read about the rule of thirds.

Shall we start another Nikon vs Canon thread? :lmao:

JK

@overread, yea it fell to the ground from a table. I dont think it hit to hard and the ground was slightly carpeted so i'm hoping no extra damage apart from the visible has been done. I've also tried looking for that lever but have had no luck identifying anthing.
@kudalini, yea i planned on keeping the D80, i've got about 25,000 uses off of the shutter and i've read that the shutter on the d80 is good up to around 50,000, so i dont feel the need to replace it completly unless the repairs are significant. $290 dollars is not to significant though, if thats it i can live with it :p. Do you have your camera back yet?
@KmH, thanks for the link i plan on going to a local camera store where i know the guy and he is quite knowledgable, i'm pretty sure they also do repairs, so i'll just go there and ask him what i should do.
@rolando, i had a friend of mine photograph this, incidently it broke testing new studio exquipment, perhaps we should have used that :p

Out of curiosity though how would this spark a Nikon vs canon war, i assume potentially the same problem could occur to either brand?
Thanks for the replies though :)

@rolando, i had a friend of mine photograph this, incidently it broke testing new studio exquipment, perhaps we should have used that

sorry - - that was my attempt at some humor. . .

@kudalini, yea i planned on keeping the D80, i've got about 25,000 uses off of the shutter and i've read that the shutter on the d80 is good up to around 50,000, so i dont feel the need to replace it completly unless the repairs are significant. $290 dollars is not to significant though, if thats it i can live with it :p. Do you have your camera back yet?...
It was the lens that snapped, not the body mount like yours.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...always-considered-myself-careful-my-gear.html

You'll likely go beyond 50K actuations on the D80, but even if.... you can still get the shutter mechanism replaced.

Out of curiosity though how would this spark a Nikon vs canon war, i assume potentially the same problem could occur to either brand?
Thanks for the replies though :)
One word....... Fanboys.

They're jealous and can't leave us alone. :D

This is why metal bodies are better in general, and the D7000 is a nice step up
Uh! Sorry!

The D7000...does. not. have. a. metal. body.

It has metal back and top covers and could well suffer the same kind of damage.

D7000 from Nikon

Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers......

Here is a front and back view of a bare D7000 chassis: http://reviews.photographyreview.com/files/2010/09/nikon-d7000-chassis-500.jpg

and here is a bare D300s metal body chassis: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1143/1219834188_6c7ccc3427.jpg

Oh wow, OK, I stand corrected, I thought it was the whole body, I guess I only ever saw the back shot.

@overread, yea it fell to the ground from a table.

So far not one account of it "spontanelously" ripping off the body from the lens not being properly supported.

and no I'm not gonna take it from someone who took it out of the bag and it was broken, anything could have happened to it between when he put it in the bag and took it out.

This design may be prone to breaking when dropped more so than a metal mount I'll give you that. But not from mounting a 70-200 on there and carrying it by the body. Maybe a 600 or 500 or some unwieldy super zoom, but not a 70-200.

I have to back up that viewpoint - I've had a 70-200mm f2.8 on my canon rebel (plastic body) and never once had it randomly fall off - kept in the bag and moved around. Of course you don't use this setup holding the camera body only - you physically can't shoot like that (well you might get one shot, just) and get good results ;)

Even with a metal mount dropping gear on the floor is never a wise move (the metal might hold, but bend instead at an example). Plus sometimes gear breaking causes less damage than if it didn't (ok only example I have here is a few stories of dropped cameras with sigma 1.4TCs mounted between lens and body where the TC breaks in half ;))

Most reactions

Back