lens queries

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping some of you may be able to help me out... I am about to purchase a nice little stack of new Canon gear:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: yep-Im a bit excited!. Anyway, I am buying the Canon 5D plus battery pack, the 24-70mmL f2.8 lens, and either the 70-200mmL IS f2.8 lens OR the 70-200mmL IS f4 lens.

I shoot weddings and portraits.

I have decided on the above selection after reading up and seeing some amazing work using this gear...:)hail: Daniel 'thebeginning'). When I held the 70-200mmL IS 2.8 my wrists nearly broke... couldnt believe how heavy it was. It did feel a bit more stable once I put the battery grip on. So wondering if any of you have it? use it hand held or with tripod always? or what you think/have heard in general about the lens. I understand that the IS will help, but is it that good to help out my weak maybe wobbly wrists while shooting OR are all my pictures going to be effected by camera shake??????????

The guy then recommended that I try the 70-200mmL IS f4 lens and wo, much lighter. But not 2.8 either????? Oh the dilemmas!! Anyone use or know much about this one compared with the 2.8??

Finally, I am looking at buying this gear on line as i will save over $2000 australian... has anyone ever spent this kind of money over the internet or is it just too risky??? The companies i have received quotes from are both registered australian businesses who claim to offer reduced prices because they have little overhead costs??

ANY help at all would be massively appreciated as I hope to make a purchase in the next fortnight.

Kindest regards and thanks in advance:thumbup: , Jem x

I wish I had experience with this level of gear...but I don't. I do know that those lenses are heavy, so I can see why that would be an issue...especially for an all day wedding shoot. I can say that with heavy lenses...you may need to alter your ergonomics. Support the lens, rather than the camera...try to find a good balance.

I think everyone in your position has tried to compare the pros and cons of the 70-200 lenses. The F4 versions are cheaper and lighter but IS is not a substitute for a bigger aperture. The F2.8 IS, is the best tool for the job, so you may regret not having it...at some point. However, if it's too heavy for you...it may not be the best tool for you.

I'm no expert Jemmy, but I would think that if you are going to be shooting weddings you would regret not having the 2.8
I think you could get used to the heaviness:)

Jemmy, I hope I can help. I've owned the non IS f4L and now the 2.8L IS and here's why.

There is NO DOUBT about what is THE BEST Canon telephoto zoom lens for shooting weddings and that is the [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']70-200 f2.8L IS[/FONT].

Sure it is a heavy lens especially when used all day. The f4L IS is lighter but when shooting in low light, if you can't use it, what was the use owning it!

I normally have a 20D and 350D cameras and the 70-200 + a 580EX on one camera and either the 24-105f4L IS or a fast prime + Sigma 500 Super on the other. These are around my neck almost all day and whilst it can be pretty tiring, the quality of shots are outstanding and more than makes up for any pain. Having an assistant is a huge benefit at times :)

As Mike says the IS is no substitute for a larger aperture and whilst it's only one stop better than the f4L IS, many times I have to switch from my f4 lens (the 24-105 f4L IS) to either a 28-75f2.8 or a fast prime like the 50mm f1.4 because I can't get the required shutter speeds in lower light with the f4L. I really want the 17-55 f2.8 IS but I do still like the 24-105..... My own dilema!

f4 in a dark church or a dark reception room is just too slow - even at higher ISO. You lose quality shooting at high ISOs like 1600 although some swear by it.

Regards buying on the internet, I rekon I've spent over £20,000 (UK money) over the last 5 or 6 years buying camera gear, TVs, beds, sofas, computers, washing machines, cookers, etc etc etc and I've saved a fortune.

Hope you make the right decision for you.

Regards
Jim

thanks heaps guys... advice much appreciated! keep em coming x
if anyone else has any of this gear, I would love to hear about it. thanks again x jem

As far as focal lengths go your choices are excellent for weddings the only thing you have left out here is mabye a good wide-angle the Canon equivalent to the 18-55 2.8. When you talk ab choosing between an F/2.8 and an F/4 there should be no contest, if you can afford the 2.8 it should always be your first choice. I would think even with the weight issue down the road you woul regret buying the F/4 over the 2.8. As far as purchasing online, as long as you are using a reputable vendor you should have no issues just remember if the deal sounds way too good it usually is.

Jemmy, you're missing the boat here! If you get the bigger lens then you will Have to go to the gym and work out so that you can hold them up all day. The gym is deductible then! LOL

mike

thanks guys... the decision is made... unless anyone can convince me otherwise, i am going for the 2.8... my weak wrists WILL learn to get strong!!!

Mike:lol: - gym membership to help my strength and to be able to claim it too - you are a legend... why did i not think of this?

Thanks x

and Jip... I currently use the cheap 'crappy?' 18-55mm 3.5-5.6? and use it lots so the 18-55 2.8 would be great. For now though, I thought the 24-70 might nearly get me through. Will put that one on the next wish list for sure..... .or do you think it would be better than the 24-70L 2.8... and is it a L lens too?

Thanks again everyone

BUMP! Sorry guys, just wondering if anyone has experience with the Canon 17-55mm 2.8lens to be used on a 5D. Want to hear quality comparisons between it and the Canon 24-70mmL 2.8

Thanks x jem x

Hi Jem,
The 17-55 f2.8 is an EFS lens and cannot be used on the 5D. Your 24-70 is plenty wide for now. Someone suggested the Canon equivalent of the Nikon 18-50 but the Nikons have a 1.5 crop factor meaning that it would actually be a 27mm lens at its widest. So your 24mm is actually wider as the 5D is full frame. I use all the canon kit mentioned above on a 5D and a 1DIIN and cannot fault it. My colleague has a 16-35 on full frame but i am happy with 24mm as my widest. For your long lens, you would certainly regret going for the f4 for weddings. Quite often I have to switch to fast primes due to low light and also use my 70-200 wide open either indoors for low light or outside for some nice blurry background portraits. Hope this helps,
cheers
Chris

Yes Jemmy
24-105 is THE lens to buy with a 5D

The 17-55 won't fit the EF mount on your camera.

Thanks for clearing that up Chris and EOSjd... all good and i will stick with the original plan of the 24-70mmL 2.8 and the 70-200mmL IS 2.8 lenses... my weakass wrists will LEARN to be strong :0) xx
Thanks again everyone. JEm x

I guess I did not take the full frame sensor of the 5D into account your 2 choices a re great ones the one I suggested would be a good later purchase. My inital recommendation was base on what I would like in my bag for weddings. Currently I am 1/3 of the way there needing the 24-70 and the 28-55.

Most reactions

Back