lens question

slash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a couple of Niklon d200's and an assortment of lenses. fav ones bieng the 18-55 vr and the 55-200 vr. i am going to hawaii next month and wanted to get an 18-200 so i can consolidate a little, but dud nit want to spend the 6-700 for the nikon. does anyone know anything about the QUANTARAY 18-200MM OS DI LENS? i can get it dir about 400 shipped and it is rated rather high.

Thoughts?

i have a couple of Niklon d200's and an assortment of lenses. fav ones bieng the 18-55 vr and the 55-200 vr. i am going to hawaii next month and wanted to get an 18-200 so i can consolidate a little, but dud nit want to spend the 6-700 for the nikon. does anyone know anything about the QUANTARAY 18-200MM OS DI LENS? i can get it dir about 400 shipped and it is rated rather high.

Thoughts?

Quantary, made by sigma for Ritz Camera.

A lot of the issues I see with the Quatary/Sigma, the helicals seem to give issues compared to other brands.

I know my Quantary 70-300 I bought is now a paper weight for that very reason.

Let me get this straight. You're willing to spend $400 just so you don't have to change lenses while you're on vacation?

Thats called laziness

Thats called laziness

that's a rather harsh comment.
My experiences (and those of many I have spoken to) are that if you go out for a holiday then trudging around with DSLR, lenses, bag, flash, memory cards etc.... is a great burden - especailly if your not on a photography holiday and out with others who are not into the hobby (friends, family, kids). You just can't stop for each shot nor to always be swapping lenses back and fourth.

A single superzoom lens has the advantage that you slap it on the camera and that is all you need - sure its not going to give as high a quality image as a prime lens or suprior zoom, but its far more convenient and means that your not dominating the trip with your photography whilst having to force others to wait for you and holding them up.

No it's called cheapness. Let me make this clear. I used the Nikkor 18-200 on vacation. It was a great vacation lens, but nasty in every aspect other than convenience. Everything from usability to all forms of image quality make a compromise for the huge zoom range. Now take this already scary product which is a let down on any camera it's attached to, half the price, and the quality again. The Nikkor superzoom is nasty, but it's also the best there is.

You'd be better off buying a point and shoot with a superzoom and throwing the remaining $200 in the bin. At least you'll know what you get and won't be disappointed.

Does it make sense to bring the DSLR on vacation?

I mean if it isn't a photography holiday, wouldn't a point & shoot and post processing get "excellent" results for "memory collecting"?

Does it make sense to bring the DSLR on vacation?

I mean if it isn't a photography holiday, wouldn't a point & shoot and post processing get "excellent" results for "memory collecting"?

Lots of folks bring their camera on holiday.

Why did you dig up such an old thread?

Didn't realize it was so old. I guess that's a side effect of using the search feature.

Most reactions

Back