Lens Recommendation Astro and Macro

the new 35 1.4 is supposed to be the bee's knees. I think it'd be worth saving up for it.

There's a new tool in the astrophoto market that is apparently pretty good for camera-only shots: iOptron

I intend to get one towards summer, when I'll a bit more time to stay up late and do photography at night.

There's a new tool in the astrophoto market that is apparently pretty good for camera-only shots: iOptron

I intend to get one towards summer, when I'll a bit more time to stay up late and do photography at night.

Only problem with summer is that you have to stay up even later :) At least you don't freeze though.

I am very curious about that tool, please tell us all about it once you have a chance to try it!

Only problem with summer is that you have to stay up even later :) At least you don't freeze though.

I am very curious about that tool, please tell us all about it once you have a chance to try it!

The reviews in Sky and Telescope were pretty gushy about it. The way the polar alignment is done is pretty neat, and I am thinking that the best way to get images with that device, even with good tracking, is to take a set of individual shots (each about 2-5 minutes long) which would help minimize any tracking errors and reduce the sky fog, and then stack them with something like Registacker. But like I noted, it'll be a summer project. The other thing that has be cranked a bit, is that I found a really dark area about 2 hours drive from where I live which looks pretty promising in terms of sky darkness. The plus of the Skytracker, is that you don't have to haul a lot of gear, if you already have a study camera tripod and the camera gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back