Lens recommendations for Aurora/Astrophotography?

Rye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to invest in some new glass and would like to hear some input. I can get away with spending around $300. My main objective is to take better Aurora, Milky Way, and general nighttime/starry sky landscape type photos. Currently I'm using a Canon 6D with a Canon 24-105 f/4 L. It does pretty well but the 24-105 always leaves me wanting both a larger aperture a wider angle.

After a fair amount of research I've come up with the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. Seems to be my best bet for about the amount of $$$ I have to play with, and lots of people use and recommend it for astrophotography.

Has anybody had good or bad luck with this lens?

What other recommendations do you have?

Should I sell my 24-105 and put the money towards a Canon 17-40 f/4 L?

I have a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 and really enjoy it. On the wide end it gives me a 2.8 aperture for my astro needs, and is also light weight and cheap. I believe you can find one easily in your price range

in that price range just pick up the roki 14. Do some testing as soon as you get it though, their quality control is notoriously horrible, I know lots of people who had to return 2-3 copies to get one sharp across the entire frame due to decentering. Easy way to test this is tape a piece of newspaper to the wall, mount your camera on a tripod, and take a photo. If it's noticeably out of focus on one side...send it back

Most reactions

Back