Lens recommendations for clublife photography?

DX lenses are designed for camera bodies that have crop sensors, like your D60. You can use a non DX lens, but the field of view will increase by 1.5. For example, if you use a 50mm non-DX lens on your D60, then the lens will act like its 75mm.

AF-S lenses have the focusing motor built into them. AF lenses do not. I'm not sure if you need a AF-S lens to achieve auto focus on a D60 but a google search would tell you(I'm on my phone)

I think the sigma 18-50 f2.8 is the better choice. The nikon 35mm DX is not going to be wide enough inside a club. Can you image trying to take group pics with that thing. Where are you going to get room to step far back. You need a zoom lens for sure, it's much more versatile in areas where taking a few step back or forward isn't an option.

BTW, sorry to hear about your lens, that is BS. I'd would knock his ass out with the broken lens

50mm might be a bit close considering you have a crop body. But that's still a good lens to have.
Come again? Won't he 35mm be even closer?

shaunly - yep that was what I had in mind as well. I don't really fancy fixed lenses cause it doesnt give me the opportunity to zoom. on the other hand iv e never used the zoom on my 18-55mm (as it changes the aperture value). furthermore the 35mm lens is more sensitive to light than the sigma lens which is exactly what i need when photographing in environments like these where lightning conditions are sometimes extremely poor.

the new D60 doesn't have an built-in focus drive motor which means it can auto focus only with lenses which have their own drive . The D90 has an internal focus motor, so all lenses built for Nikon cameras will auto-focus

YOu are all very helpfull. Though I have a few questions

1. I initially thought that ALL nikon nikkor lenses were compatible with any nikon camera. Is this the case? For example if I get the 35mm lens, and replace my d60 with a d90 or d5000, will i still be able to use this lens?
  2. Can I use an AF-S lens with a camera body that has a focus motor built in it, like the D90 has? Or must I use an AF lens for bodies that already have a focus motor built in them?
  3. What if I want to use non nikon lenses like sigma. How can I see if the lens is compatible with my body? What does the compatibility depend on? What makes a lens compatible with one camera and incompatible with another?
newbies in the house

50mm might be a bit close considering you have a crop body. But that's still a good lens to have.
Come again? Won't he 35mm be even closer?

shaunly - yep that was what I had in mind as well. I don't really fancy fixed lenses cause it doesnt give me the opportunity to zoom. on the other hand iv e never used the zoom on my 18-55mm (as it changes the aperture value). furthermore the 35mm lens is more sensitive to light than the sigma lens which is exactly what i need when photographing in environments like these where lightning conditions are sometimes extremely poor.

the new D60 doesn't have an built-in focus drive motor which means it can auto focus only with lenses which have their own drive . The D90 has an internal focus motor, so all lenses built for Nikon cameras will auto-focus

YOu are all very helpfull. Though I have a few questions

1. I initially thought that ALL nikon nikkor lenses were compatible with any nikon camera. Is this the case? For example if I get the 35mm lens, and replace my d60 with a d90 or d5000, will i still be able to use this lens?
  2. Can I use an AF-S lens with a camera body that has a focus motor built in it, like the D90 has? Or must I use an AF lens for bodies that already have a focus motor built in them?
  3. What if I want to use non nikon lenses like sigma. How can I see if the lens is compatible with my body? What does the compatibility depend on? What makes a lens compatible with one camera and incompatible with another?
newbies in the house

You need to go back and re-read my post explaining crop bodies using non-DX lenses because I specifically used the 50mm prime lens as an example.

All Nikon lens will shoot with all lenses. AF-S(motorized) lenses will shoot on every body, and all functions will work. AF lenses will still shoot on something like your D60, but you will lose auto focus because D60 does not have a
motor in the body, so it relies on the motor in the lens. Some older generation lenses will lack AF and metering when used with certain body combinations. Like I said, the lens will shoot, but in certain combinations you will need to do some footwork to shoot it properly.

If you have a body that has a focusing motor, I believe it will default to using the motor inside the lens. Generally speaking, the motor in the lens is faster.

All of the information is in your user's manual, and online. Do some reading so you can help yourself and save yourself some time :)

Most reactions

Back