Lens Rotater

Yup new padding should fix it right up. I have done this more than once. Just use the same type of material that was OEM.

Do you know of a place that sells the OEM part (trimmed & ready to install), or is this something I'll have to make on my own. I was thinking I could glue some felt in there (after ripping out the old stuff), as long as it was the right thickness. The stuff that's in there now appears to just be felt, but I'm sure it's more expensive than felt ;).

^^ Could you not use the tripod mount on the lens to attach to the CB and still maintain balance? I've only seen one once and that was for a short time, but didn't really look at the mounting closely. Thought it was a neat trick for quick flip in orientations.

Not really. The CB quick release plate is a universal mount designed for camera bodies and really does not work on lens feet. Plus, I don't know that I would want all of that weight raised up on the tripod mount torquing on the QR plate and QR either when it is in portrait mode. That is where the arca-swiss system excels is in strength. I have no problem having my 400 f2.8 hanging sideways on a gimbal mount with an arca-swiss QR.

The CB is great for bodies with shorter glass. I use one all the time that way on top of a monopod or a tripod. It would be perfect, in my opinion, if they would addopt the arca-swiss standard for their QR system.

Do you know of a place that sells the OEM part (trimmed & ready to install), or is this something I'll have to make on my own. I was thinking I could glue some felt in there (after ripping out the old stuff), as long as it was the right thickness. The stuff that's in there now appears to just be felt, but I'm sure it's more expensive than felt ;).

No, I just cut and attached my own. If it is a felt material then I would suggest that you look at felt weather stripping. It is thick and dense, or contact the lens manufacturer and see if they can't just ship you what you need. It would probably have pre-applied double sided sticky tape.

The one I have replaced was a rubber strip so I just got the right thickness of rubber, peeled the old off, put down heavy duty double sided tape on the new rubber strip and stuck it on. Works perfectly.

...Hmm. I could just put some rubber in there. I already have some the right thickness (and if I don't, I can get it for free). I guess felt doesn't cost very much though...

I do kinda like the felt because it slips a little bit (mine is just slipping a little too much), not sure if I would like it with rubber in there.

...Hmm. I could just put some rubber in there. I already have some the right thickness (and if I don't, I can get it for free). I guess felt doesn't cost very much though...

I do kinda like the felt because it slips a little bit (mine is just slipping a little too much), not sure if I would like it with rubber in there.

I called it rubber, that really wasn't the right term. Sorry. It was plastic, the hard surfaced kind that is slick. I'm not real fond of it, as it was a pain to replace. I will probably go to felt the next time.

It has some kind of felt liner on the inside, I think that's just getting worn away. The screw and the lens itself both look perfect. It's not loose to the point that it causes problems (still stable); sometimes, if I have too tight a grip on the cmera, I can rotate it without meaning to. I don't think it will wear more, but if it does it will need replaced for sure.

Well, then it's not exactly like mine then, I dunnot believe mine has a liner.

It has some kind of felt liner on the inside, I think that's just getting worn away. The screw and the lens itself both look perfect. It's not loose to the point that it causes problems (still stable); sometimes, if I have too tight a grip on the cmera, I can rotate it without meaning to. I don't think it will wear more, but if it does it will need replaced for sure.

If I remember correctly, they are typically 10-15% of what the lens they are designed for costs. I've noticed that with Canon lens hoods too - 10% the cost of the lens.
That makes no sense, a lens cap wouldn't cost 150 dollars, unless it is for your fisheye sort of lens.

Most reactions

Back