Lens Selection Help

lordnardo20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Beginner here. I have the Canon Rebel XS, with the lens that came with it (EF-S 18 - 55mm f/3.5 - 5.6IS), and a Canon EF 75 - 300mm f/4.6 - 5.6 telephoto lens.

I am going to Hawaii, and would love to get some sort of wide angle lens for the trip. I really don't know too much about lenses, and would appreciate any thoughts (and also whether or not I should stick with Canon lenses, or if there is a cheaper alternative that doesn't sacrifice quality).

Thanks!

Hello and welcome..

Actually for what you have, thats all you will really need.
personally, I have a number of diff. lenses for spicific shots, but for what your doing, save the money and use it in hawaii.
Getting alot of diff. lenses can sometimes cause one to get confused and think that a spicific lens will be good for that "one" shot.
What you have will work very well. Just think composure. (Diff. angles, lighting, etc.)

Let the camera and lens do thier jobs, and I think youll be fine.

Have a look at the Canon EF-S 10-22mm or a cheaper alternative, the Sigma 10-20mm.

The least expensive choice is the Tokina 12-24 f/4.0. Tokina's are built like tanks. Of the same level as Nikon or Canon (in build). It's a $400 lens. The optics will be about the same or better as your current lenses. But not quite as good as the best of the best lenses. Not to mean its not a good lens. For the price it's a very good wide lens.

Tamron makes an 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 for about $480. It's a little bit faster than the Sigma and a little longer in range. They have about the same build quality as Sigma.

The Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 is about $480. It's a bit wider, but a bit slower as well. Has a very good following. Sigma seems to be made a bit cheaper than the manufacturer lenses and less that Tokina. But with care will last. Their quality control seems to be spotty though. But this seems to be the running favorite among third party lenses. They have a newer faster version but it seems to be having some hicups.

Tokina also makes an 11-16 f/2.8 of which I have one in Nikon flavor. It's built tough, has a good feel and works great. It is a bit soft at f/2.8 which seems to be the norm for them. Its a $650 lens. But is a constant aperture f/2.8 so even though its just slightly less wide than the Sigma it's a full stop faster at the wide end to 2 full stops faster at the long end (not that there is much range between 11-16).

And obviously Canon has their 10-22 for about $750. Quite a few say its the best in the range. But alot of people say the Sigma gives it a run for the money.

For me I have not regretted the Tokina 11-16. 2 stops of light for inside shots is a big deal if you don't or can't use flash. The softness at f/2.8 is noticeable when zoomed in on screen but not at the picture ruining level. After processing and in most prints it's not a factor.

I echo what Big Mike said.

I have the Canon 10-22 and its a really fine lens.
I had my heart set on the Sigma 10-20, but went with the Canon when the store I had a large $ gift certificate with did not carry Sigma.

18mm on your camera should be the wide angle. If you need wider such as those Ultra Wide Angle lens, 10-20mm from Sigma is pretty good.

I had the Tokina 11-16mm before I switched to full frame and sold it. Check the reviews - everyone says that it's an amazing lens and I agree. It's not much of zoom range, but it makes up for that with its quality.

Most reactions

Back