What's new

Lens + setup for paintings?

outdoors

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is the best way to take pictures of paintings, mainly watercolors but also a couple of oil paintings? Note - these are not framed.

If anyone has experience would like to hear your suggestions for lens, lighting, and any other equipment used.
 
I've only shot artwork for slides. We laid theartwork flat on the table. We had 4 continuous tungsten lights, one on each corner and shot down using a copy stand using a 1:1 lens. Larger paintings were shot in full sun against a neutral wall. Art 8x10 and smaller may be able to be scanned on a quality flatbed but I have no first hand experience with that.
 
A friend wants to shoot a few pictures of his brother's paintings for high rez large prints. He has a D5100 and the 35mm 1.8.
I think that will be a fine combo, anyone disagree?
 
I wouldn't use a 35mm 1.8.

Ideally you want a lens with minimal distortion and high resolution, which translates to a macro lens. The 35 is optimized for other factors, and as a result will not render as straight or as clear as something like a 105mm micro.

Also, depending on how large you mean by large, you may be limited by the resolution of that body. Check out this article: How Big Can I Print by Thom Hogan
 
Large in this case would be 24"x24". IMO the Nikkor 35mm 1.8 lense does a great job with focus and distortion, but I get your point and will pass it on.
 
I shot some pieces for a local museum and used a 60mm macro as it has a 1:1 ratio. I would put it on the wall and not hit it with flash unless it is well diffused or you will get a hot spot on it. Find the right time of day in a nicely lit area and use a tripod. Shoot the frame and crop to size if framed.
The shot below is a mosaic that I shot for them so they could sell the images in the gift shop.
-
DSC_2374-120ftw.jpg

-
DSC_2374cloneddf10usmcrop100percentFTW600.jpg

-
Shoot well, Joe
 
Joe, very nice! Did you use the D700?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom