lens upgrade from kit lens

GoFlex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i would like to buy a new lens for my d3100 as an upgrade for my kit lens(18-55)
these lens are the ones with in my budget. (some are 2nd hand)

nikon 55-300 vr
nikon 55-200 vr
tamron 70-300mm macro
sigma APO 70-300 macro
tamron 18-200mm macro(non vr version)

please help me choose. i would like to have a versatile lens which is not expensive.

tnx

Last edited:
which "kit" lens do you have for your camera? the 18-55? Are you planning on keeping that lens?
if you are keeping the lens, and keeping to your list, I would go with the nikon 55-300 VR. (I think thats the lens you meant, never seen 55-700)
if you are getting rid of the 18-55 lens, I would get the Tamron 18-200 (or find a tamron 18-270) so you dont lose all the wide end.
also consider adding the Nikon 18-105mm VR to your list. very inexpensive and a good all around lens.

is the nikon 18-105 lens has a wider veiw?

how about, 18-200 tamron, cause i like the macro thing, and i read that it is a all around lens. because sometimes i may not be able to bring two lenses,

how about, 18-200 tamron, cause i like the macro thing, and i read that it is a all around lens. because sometimes i may not be able to bring two lenses,

ive been very pleased with my tamron lenses. I dont have the 18-200, but im sure it is as good as their other lenses. It has a good focal range so you shouldnt need to switch lenses unless you need to shoot something very far away.

ok tnx i will consider your advice. one last thing would you please number them up, 1 for the lens which is the best choice for you until 7. also considering the sigma 18-250 and nikon 18-105.

ok tnx i will consider your advice. one last thing would you please number them up, 1 for the lens which is the best choice for you until 7. also considering the sigma 18-250 and nikon 18-105.

I would go with either the sigma 18-250 or the tamron 18-270 if you want an all purpose lens. they give you the most focal range for a single lens. I dont know if one is particularly better than the other in any way. the rest of the lenses on you list all pretty much fall within the same zoom range but without the wide end. I have the nikon 70-300mm VRII and it is a great lens, but you lose all the wide end unless you want to swap out for you 18-55mm.

The first 4 you listed are telephoto zooms that are really only suitable for shooting things at a distance.

The first 4 you listed are telephoto zooms that are really only suitable for shooting things at a distance.

what lens will you recommend for me? have you used a tamron 18-200?

Keep the 18-55 and add a 55-200. About 250 just about anywhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back