Lens Upgrade HELP!!!!

vintagephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay. I know absolutely nothing about photography. It is a passion for my boyfriend. Recently he broke his Nikon 55-200MM lens. He has attempted to fix it, but with no success.

I want to buy him a new lens for Christmas, yet as stated previously I have very little knowledge. Okay, I was looking at the Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm lens. I know it is comparable with his broken lens, but I wanted educated opinions and thoughts.

Can you help me?

Do you know what model camera he has? With the model name we can see what kind of sensor it has and give you a recommendation. Also, what is your budget?

What does he take photos of? The lens he broke is a $250 lens, if he had the newest version of it Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens.

One of Nikon's best values is the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras and would be a big improvement over the now toasted 55-200 mm lens he had.

The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras is a pretty good upgrade too, because it is a constant aperture lens and can open up to f/2.8, a bonus if your boyfriend wants to shoot in a bit dimmer light.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What does he take photos of?

He really likes nature photography; however, he has been experimenting with different types of strobe (?) flash techniques with portraits and such as of late.

Thank you for your input and suggestions. It really helps -this is too complex for me :)

OK, so get him the 70-300 VR so he has a lttle more 'reach' (100 mm more focal length) for his nature shots, and for strobed light (flash) portraits get him:

Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

Yongnuo YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon

And to trigger the strobes (flash units) while on the light stands (called 'off camera flash' or OCF); StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

Tell him to visit www.strobist.com.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back