Lens??

Brandonlee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok here is the jist of it.

So im still working with the default lens that came with my canon xti. I really want another lens just bc i know the default ones suck but I have NO idea what type of lens to get. Im only 19 and still in school meaning I dont have tons of money to spend on lenses. I want some cheap, afforable that still will do a good job on photos.

I photography mostly portraits, children, fashion, preganancys, weddings. small things to get me starting since i am in the process of starting my own business. I do some landscapes just because they are easier to do seeing as I dont always have models for fashion shoots(which is eventually my main focus).

And overall I want something that would be able to comply as much as possible with what I am looking for. Im looking for something between the 200-400$ range. Any tips or anything, PLEASE let me know. I want another lens as soon as I can get one. Thanks guys in advance.

Just my opinion but I would look into a 50mm 1.8 lens? It will make you work a little harder but that is what I want! What do you have now?

just the default lens it comes with. idk what it is. but it doesnt sharpen...basically it is atrocious.

just the default lens it comes with. idk what it is. but it doesnt sharpen...basically it is atrocious.

Well you shouldn't be sticking your lenses in a pencil sharpener now!

well to do weddings your going to need a lot more than one more lens... your looking at something with a good amount of zoom that does well in low light like the 70-200 F2.8L which is like a $2000 lens....

I would say a good second lens to get is the 50mm 1.8, it does great in low light situations

Actually, most 18-55 kit lenses today are pretty darn good, if the photographer knows what they are doing and use the lens to it's best advantage.

Unfortunately, if you want to set up a well-paying wedding photo business, it usually costs you BUCKETS before you even get any customers in! I mean, the most popular wedding lens is a 70-200mm f/2.8 Canon/Nikon lens, which will set you back a fair $2,000, as CW Jones said. Add to that some backup software and spare camera bodies (I doubt people will be very happy if your only camera breaks halfway through their wedding :p), and it adds up to... well, a lot.

Sorry for that rather depressing comment, there, so I'll get back on track.

A really great little lens that I'd wholly recommend is the trusty 50mm f/1.8 lens. It is quite possibly the cheapest lens on the market today, setting you back around £100, possibly less. It's a prime lens, meaning that it doesn't have a zoom (apart from your legs!), but in my opinion it allows you to shoot photography from a whole new perspective because of its massive aperture. Shoot almost anything at the maximum f/1.8, and the background will be blown out of focus, making it useful for portraits, children playing, or just anything that has an ugly background. It's also very useful for indoor, low-light shooting, as its maximum aperture allows a high shutter speed.

just the default lens it comes with. idk what it is.
You should at least become familiar with your equipment. The kit lens for the Canon T1i is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS lens. It's actually a pretty decent lens to learn with.
but it doesnt sharpen...
What do you mean it doesn't sharpen? When you're editing your photo you can't get it to sharpen? Never heard of that happening before.
basically it is atrocious.
I'm more inclined to believe this is user error and not a problem with the equipment.

Which photo editor are you using?

Got any pictures we can take a look at?

I am using photoshop to edit and some lens produce a better quality image then others which is what I meant by sharpening it.
here is one of the pregnancy photos I did:
Expecting_by_BrokenInside07.jpg

see how low quality it is? It was low light. I think I might start off with a 1.8.

I'd have to agree with Jeffro. I purchased mine a bit after purchasing the camera and have loved the end results that come out shooting with that lens. I would disagree however on your comment saying "I really want another lens just bc i know the default ones suck". Just because its given with the camera as the kit lens doesn't mean you're getting a crappy item, its just that lens is better to start with. I still shoot a lot of pix with my "default" lens and they come out great. Obviously if you're willing to spend lots then by all means ...

just my 2 cents =)

yea i think i am going to go with that lens because it seems like it can do alot and it seems like a really good starter lens. thanks guys. but finding it will be the problem lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back