Lensbaby Portraits (and one not-lensbaby portrait)

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, yesterday I got the keys to my very first studio. My friend Kristin,who is an incredibly talented photographer (see her work here: Portfolio ) was kind enough to let me play with her lensbaby and shoot a few portraits of her. Both are kind of experimental, and I really like how they turned out.

These were lit with a single window with overcast skies outside. I left the wrinkles in the backdrop because I like the texture.
EOS 6D
1/10th sec handheld
ISO 500
(Unfortunately the aperture setting wasn't included in the exif data)

_mg_2233_by_danostergren-d9jfdar.jpg

1/200th sec
ISO 500
_mg_2231_by_danostergren-d9jfdav.jpg

This third one was captured using a 50mm lens instead of the lensbaby:
EOS 6D
50mm @f/1.6
1/200th sec
ISO 500
_mg_2222_by_danostergren-d9jfdb7.jpg

I like the second the most, partially because of the dim, dark look but also because that mysterious window above with the unclear shapes and that vertical dark handle that mirrors her upright pose.

The third specifically bothers me because I am looking directly at her profile but down at her knees and lower legs.
The awareness and change of perspective is disconcerting.

The second one creates a mood and works quite well; the backdrop gives texture to the wall and to the photo.

I was going to ask if you used any aperture rings for the first one then realized, you're probably using a newer Lensbaby. The reason is the depth of field. I rather like the portrait, although I wondered if there might have been the slightest blur, but I don't know that it necessarily detracts from the portrait - almost a bit of a tintype feel to it.

The last one looks like she's just sitting in a studio perched on a stool... I find the edge of the window and of the backdrop and the legs of the stands or whatever to make for distractions.

That second one is intriguing.

Ive always been curious to try a lensbaby

Well, I quite like the third one. It feels very meta. :) I read it as a commentary on the whole portrait business. Don't know if that was intended, but that's how it feels to me.

Love these...All of them :D . I love my lensbaby, one of my favorite lenses. Which one did you use?

A lensbaby is on my list of lenses I want. :)

Love the second one :)

I just wish the stool was different. The modern metal/plastic construction clashes with the minimalist - and the in the case of the second image "throwback" - look of the shoot.

Otherwise, I really like the second image best. The stool isn't too noticeable and it's reminiscent of a photo out of a view camera.

I like the second the most, partially because of the dim, dark look but also because that mysterious window above with the unclear shapes and that vertical dark handle that mirrors her upright pose.

The third specifically bothers me because I am looking directly at her profile but down at her knees and lower legs.
The awareness and change of perspective is disconcerting.
I like the second one a lot as well.
Thanks for the feedback.

The second one creates a mood and works quite well; the backdrop gives texture to the wall and to the photo.

I was going to ask if you used any aperture rings for the first one then realized, you're probably using a newer Lensbaby. The reason is the depth of field. I rather like the portrait, although I wondered if there might have been the slightest blur, but I don't know that it necessarily detracts from the portrait - almost a bit of a tintype feel to it.

The last one looks like she's just sitting in a studio perched on a stool... I find the edge of the window and of the backdrop and the legs of the stands or whatever to make for distractions.

That second one is intriguing.
I honestly don't know anything about the lens. My friend brought it to my studio and we started playing with it. I'll have to find out though.
Thanks for the feedback.
Ive always been curious to try a lensbaby
You should! You might really love it.

Well, I quite like the third one. It feels very meta. :) I read it as a commentary on the whole portrait business. Don't know if that was intended, but that's how it feels to me.
Thank you. I think I like it just because it's a simple shot of my friend. I didn't want it to look fabricated at all.

Love these...All of them :D . I love my lensbaby, one of my favorite lenses. Which one did you use?
Thank you! I honestly don't know.

A lensbaby is on my list of lenses I want. :)
Mine too!

Love the second one :)
Thank you.
I just wish the stool was different. The modern metal/plastic construction clashes with the minimalist - and the in the case of the second image "throwback" - look of the shoot.

Otherwise, I really like the second image best. The stool isn't too noticeable and it's reminiscent of a photo out of a view camera.
I agree, I need a different stool. Thanks for the feedback.

Most reactions

Back