Lense help

kwik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a chance to pick up a Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MKII lense for a decent price. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and how they enjoyed the lense. Does anyone have any pictures that they have taken with the lense? What they thought of the lense and the whole nine yards otherwise.

Thanks very much for any help!

Derek

This is one of the most recommended lenses around here. Mostly because it's cheap.

Optically, the lens is very good compared to cheap zoom lenses like the 18-55mm 'kit' lens. The wide max aperture is a great tool to have in your bag.

On the downside, this lens is cheaply made compared to more expensive lenses. It's got more plastic where a better lens would have metal. It's got a cheap AF motor, which is slower and louder than the better USM AF motors found of more expensive lenses.

If it really is a decent price (around $100 CDN) then I would certainly recommend picking up this lens.

This is one of the most recommended lenses around here. Mostly because it's cheap.

Optically, the lens is very good compared to cheap zoom lenses like the 18-55mm 'kit' lens. The wide max aperture is a great tool to have in your bag.

On the downside, this lens is cheaply made compared to more expensive lenses. It's got more plastic where a better lens would have metal. It's got a cheap AF motor, which is slower and louder than the better USM AF motors found of more expensive lenses.

If it really is a decent price (around $100 CDN) then I would certainly recommend picking up this lens.

Yeah the lense is actually less then 100 bucks. I read some reviews on some sites but sometimes I like a personal opinion. I think I'll probably pick it up and am pretty excited to try it out.

Thanks Mike.

And any other comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
^ +1

I own two lenses, a Sigma 18-200mm, and the mentioned Canon 50mm. If I had to give one up, it would be the Sigma. I love the nifty-fifty! I find it produces sharp, detailed photos. And the ability to stop down to f/1.8 (a big difference when compared to my other lens) allows you to get great DOF, which I find allows you to get more creative.

It wouldn't hurt to buy it and try it out. If you don't care for it, you can sell it on-line without losing any money really. They move pretty quickly if priced right.

As Mike said, they're not very well built, they are noisy and the manual focus ring is kind of sparse and difficult to use. It also mis-focuses occasionally, so shoot several shots of something to make sure you got it in focus before moving on.

But when it does hit focus at f/2.8 and up it generally produces very sharp images.

I've had my EF 50mm f/1.8 II "Nifty Fifty" for over a year and feel it's a good lens for the price. I recently started shooting with it again and have been very pleased with the shots.

Here's a couple samples from a few weeks ago:
3464105863_5573b63a7e.jpg

This was taken in an indoor open market with available light.
3464095447_c260ed4269.jpg

I like those. Anyone use the lense on any people and how did it work?

I used to have one but changed it for the 50F1.4, here's some with the F1.8
@F1.8 1/15
146290213_uCUP7-M.jpg

and a bit of sport, i was still running when i took this shot
92374376_Q6NQ9-L.jpg

Wow. Thanks for the replies so fast everyone. I'll be sending off the e mail right away here saying I want it!!! :thumbup:

With pictures like those Gary, why would you ever switch?

i find it to be a good lens,but you cant zoom out or go wide with out steping way back.if i had the money right now i would get a 2.8 18-55 or a 2.8 18-85.but i dont have 1500 for a lens right now
but my 50mm is great in low lite,and like they said it is the best bang for the buck.
i think i would be most happy with a longer fixed focal 1.8 or 2.8.

alll offf myyy photos on my flickr are with a 50mm 1.8

Most reactions

Back