Lense help

Rummie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been looking at lenses for my camera(canon rebel xs), I know it is EF/EF-S Mount. Ive been seaching and finding a lot of AF lenses, they appear to look the same as EF, but I have yet to find the proper information to see if that is correct. Anyone possibly know this?

Thank you.

Someone more informed, please correct me if I'm wrong.

To my understanding, AF means autofocus. EF refers to full frame and and EF-S to crop sensor.

Basically, if you ever decide to switch to a full frame camera, your best be would be to look for EF lenses so that the transition becomes smoother.

you can use EF or EF-S lenses both will work for your camera

like bahandi says, EF-S won't work on full frame cameras if you decide to upgrade (5d, 1d) but most ppl never will... so that might not even matter...

Well, I really dont plain on upgrading to say a 5d or 1d.

So the AF lenses, even though they are labeled that way will work on EF mount bodies?

EF (and EF-S) are Canon's Auto Focus lens mounts. So any EF or EF-S (with one or two rare exceptions) will be an Auto Focus lens.

Canon doesn't really use 'AF' in it's lens designation.
But if you are looking at other lens manufacturers, they might use AF in the lens name/designation. This may be important because if you are getting a non-Canon lens, you want it to be made to work with Canon Auto Focus (EOS) cameras. Other companies don't (or can't) use the EF designation, so they might use AF.

As long as it says somewhere that the lens is compatible with Canon Auto Focus, Canon EF, or Canon EOS...then you are good to go.

To add to Big Mike's advice, parties like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina will normally specify that the lens is "canon mount", "nikon mount", etc, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back