Lense Question

Vintage86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I'm a beginner and not looking to spend too much. I'm planning to buy the Canon Rebel XTi body soon and i was wondering which lens should I get? I'm interested in portrait, landscape, close ups(don't know if that's a term. My budget for the lens is 200 dollars.

Get it with the 18-55mm kit lens and than figure out for yourself what you need.

I agree with Sw1tchFX, Get the kit lens use it for a while then see what type of photography you lean towards.

The 18-55mm lens is a decent lens that works great to learn the camera or photography with. Once you use your camera for some time you will see a trend in your pictures then you can buy a second lens that is better for that area of photography.

$200 doesn't buy you a whole lot. I'd either stick with the 18-55 kit lens as the others suggest, or get a cheaper or used body and put the difference into a nicer lens instead. A Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM Macro might be worth looking into or about $400. It's a lot faster which is all-around useful, and also does 1:3 macro which is fairly close focusing, enough to get you started for closeup shots. Edit: BTW the Canon 18-55 kit lens also does I think about 1:3.2 macro which is pretty darned close too. I'm not as familiar with the Canon lens lineup, but the Nikon 18-55 kit lens also does 1:3.2 macro and it's just about the closest focusing lens in their lineup aside from their dedicated 1:1 macro primes. Most people don't know that and forget to try macro stuff with the little kit lens before spending a lot more money.

Most reactions

Back