Lense Thought

tacomadm18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was thinking,,, what might be a better way to go,,, keep in mind I do like the idea of a prime lense...

** Option 1 - Canon 24-105mm IS f4 L

** Option 2 - Canon 135mm f2 L and a 50mm 1.8

thoughts

So I was thinking,,, what might be a better way to go,,, keep in mind I do like the idea of a prime lense...

** Option 1 - Canon 24-105mm IS f4 L

** Option 2 - Canon 135mm f2 L and a 50mm 1.8

thoughts

These lenses would depend on your purpose for them. The 24-105 gets the most used of the lenses in my bag. It's a great walk around lens that provides excellent pics.

You get a better range of low light with option 2, but if you see yourself at either end often, you'll be doing a lot of swapping. I own all of these except the 135, but I would think of my 85mm as filling that gap; a nice portrait lens. I rarely use it with the quality of the 24-104. These are just my thoughts though, I'm sure others will have interesting usage ideas.

I use the 24-105-L as my main walk-around "single lens option" on my 5D. Once in a while I use it on my 20D. It's wide enough for use indoors, and moderately long. If I need longer focal lengths, I use the 70-200/2.8. The 135/2 is a nice prime lens and is surprisingly light feeling on a camera, and it focuses well and is very sharp and has a very beautiful bokeh and drawing/rendering style. The 135/2 puts what I can "an impression" on its images--the 14-105 zoom is very "neutral". The 50/1.8 EF-II is a crappy lens, no two ways about it. It's a sub-par lens in many ways.

I don't know what body you plan on using the lenses on, but I'd prefer owning the 24-105 over the 135+50 kit unless I had other lenses to round things out.

Most reactions

Back