LENSES...................(AGAIN)

stepollard1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hiya guys,

Firstly can i give a big thanks for what you all do, all your advice and experience is priceless really.

Well all i have at the mo is a Nikon coolpix S7c, which in my eyes is a very good P&S little cam I will give you some examples of the pics i have taken with it.

But anyways, I am getting a Nikon D60 complete with the 18-55mm lense

I am wondering what kind of lenses I will need for the following scenarios:

Close up pics of flowers,
Landscapes i.e Big lakes, mountains, field etc
Wildlife, mainly birds
Family pictures i.e christmas time.
Family dog portraits
Aviation shows...static and flying aircraft

Will 2 lenses cover the whole range????

Also what will I be best shooting with my 18-55mm?

I am wondering what kind of lenses I will need for the following scenarios:

Close up pics of flowers,
Landscapes i.e Big lakes, mountains, field etc
Wildlife, mainly birds
Family pictures i.e christmas time.
Family dog portraits
Aviation shows...static and flying aircraft

How much empahsis are you putting on "need"?

The short answer to your question:
Will 2 lenses cover the whole range????
is "yes". The long answer is "no"

Also what will I be best shooting with my 18-55mm?
The short answer is "pictures". The long answer is "pictures"

The 18-55mm kit lens is a "jack of all trades, a master of none". It'll take pictures of what ever you point it at... and the pictures will turn out good.

The problem is each one of your "scenarios" would be better off being shot each using a different lens.

Well I use the word "need" as in what do i require for best quality in the pictures.

And if things were so simple as, the 18-55mm lens will produce good shots, whatever i point it at.
Why is there a million and one lenses on the market.
Sorry but I am a total beginer in this subject hence posting in "photography for beginners "

I think it is better to use the kit lens first. Learn more about your camera equipments as well as photography.

Later on, you should know what you need to buy.

SSSHHHHHH......now you've blown my cover ha ha....are suppose you can class them as wildlife :D

I think it is better to use the kit lens first. Learn more about your camera equipments and well as photography.

Thanks for that. i might just sit quiet for couple of month and see how i go.
Tempted to get a zoom lens in-case i need it tho ha ha.

Well I use the word "need" as in what do i require for best quality in the pictures.

And if things were so simple as, the 18-55mm lens will produce good shots, whatever i point it at.
Sorry but I am a total beginer in this subject hence posting in "photography for beginners "

Well in that case....for the best quality pictures:
Close up pics of flowers = Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.6G IF-ED $984.65

Landscapes i.e Big lakes, mountains, field etc = AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED $1,954.95

Wildlife, mainly birds AF-S 200-400mm AF-S f4G $6,299.95

Family pictures i.e christmas time. 50mm f/1.4G $484.95 and a 35mm f/1.4G $1,799.95

Family dog portraits 24-120mm AF-S f/4G VR $1,299.95

Aviation shows...static and flying aircraft 600mm AF-S f/G ED VR $10,299.94

For a grand total of 7 lenes at a cost of $23,124.31

.... see where I'm getting at with this? The reason there are so many lenses on the market is that people "need" different things. If you "need" the "best possible quality", then you "need" to spend thousands of dollars. On the other hand, if you "need" a lens that will take decent pictures and help you learn, then you can get by on a few hundred dollars.

I have the Nikon D3000, which is almost the same as your D60. I have 3 lenses, the NIkon af-s 55-200mm, the kit lens you have, and the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AFd. It turns out, that in my limited ability, experince and knowledge, this is 2 lenses 2 many.

That being said, I haven't had a situation that the three lenses I have wouldn't fit. Mainly, because I really don't know what I'm doing yet. i have taken a couple of classes, and know just enough to be dangerous, and just enough to know just exactly how much I DON'T know. If you're as new as you are leading on, my advice, from one noob to another.... take the money you are thinking about spending on new lenses, and spend them on classes instead. It might just be money better spent.

Last edited:
My son has a D5000 (similar to the D60) and the following lenses:

18-55mm
55-200mm
35mm f/1.8 DX

Rounding that off with the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro and replacing the 55-200 with the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 would give you what you are looking for without breaking the bank too much.

My 2 cents

If don't mind zoom lenses, you'll need 4, plus the macro.

14-24mm f/2.8
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8
200-400mm f/4
105mm f/2.8

All top shelf Nikkor lenses with no overlapping focal lengths, except the macro. They are FX, but will work on DX cameras.

Well in that case....for the best quality pictures:
Close up pics of flowers = Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.6G IF-ED $984.65

Landscapes i.e Big lakes, mountains, field etc = AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED $1,954.95

Wildlife, mainly birds AF-S 200-400mm AF-S f4G $6,299.95

Family pictures i.e christmas time. 50mm f/1.4G $484.95 and a 35mm f/1.4G $1,799.95

Family dog portraits 24-120mm AF-S f/4G VR $1,299.95

Aviation shows...static and flying aircraft 600mm AF-S f/G ED VR $10,299.94

For a grand total of 7 lenes at a cost of $23,124.31

.... see where I'm getting at with this? The reason there are so many lenses on the market is that people "need" different things. If you "need" the "best possible quality", then you "need" to spend thousands of dollars. On the other hand, if you "need" a lens that will take decent pictures and help you learn, then you can get by on a few hundred dollars.

Thanks for the advice but I find it a little to sarcastic to be honest, all i am doing is trying to join a community to gain knowledge...Think about it if I had money like that wouldn't i get something a little better that a D60

I have the Nikon D3000, which is almost the same as your D60. I have 3 lenses, the NIkon af-s 55-200mm, the kit lens you have, and the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AFd. It turns out, that in my limited ability, experince and knowledge, this is 2 lenses 2 many.

That being said, I haven't had a situation that the three lenses I have wouldn't fit. Mainly, because I really don't know what I'm doing yet. i have taken a couple of classes, and know just enough to be dangerous, and just enough to know just exactly how much I DON'T know. If you're as new as you are leading on, my advice, from one noob to another.... take the money you are thinking about spending on new lenses, and spend them on classes instead. It might just be money better spent.

That is a good answer, i might just do that and stick with the 18-55mm kit lens.
THANKYOU

I think it is better to use the kit lens first. Learn more about your camera equipments and well as photography.

Thanks for that. i might just sit quiet for couple of month and see how i go.
Tempted to get a zoom lens in-case i need it tho ha ha.

Once you learn more about photography, you may find the limitation on your current setup. At that time, buying a additional equipment MAY solve your problem.

For example:

- You like to take portrait shots of people with out of focus background and it is very hard to do it with your current setup, then lens purchase maybe needed.

- You took a lot of indoor photos such as birthday parties. But often that the photos are either blurry or too dark. Then you may need to get a flash or a lens that has wide aperture.

- Bug photos keep bugging you. So you want to take photos of small bugs. Then a micro lens is needed.

If you do not know what you need now, you do not need it. :)

Most reactions

Back