Lenses for Nikon D50

mltran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get some suggestions on what lenses to purchase next. I am already thinking about getting the nikkor 50mm 1.8 (hopefully for Valentine's Day:heart:), but besides that what are some good lenses to have? I love wildlife, zoo, landscape and macro photography, but I also take a lot of pictures of my 2 year old son. As you can see I have the standard kit lens and a cheaper zoom lens. Any help would be great!:D Thanks!

EDIT: My budget- well lets just say any price, but it may take me a year to save up for. But I am not a pro and this is just my hobby for now, so I don't think I need the absolute top of the line.

Last edited:
Budget. Budget? BUDGET!??!!!!!!1!

I don't really have a budget, because I will just save up for whatever lens I need. It may take me a long time to do that, but oh well.

Used 80-200 F/2.8 for telephoto, and a 12-24 Tokina for wide angle shots. About 1000 overall for the two.

Thank you. Is there a reason I should go with Tokina over Nikon? Would either of those lenses work for Macro?

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Thank you. Is there a reason I should go with Tokina over Nikon? Would either of those lenses work for Macro?

Neither is a macro lens. The Tokina is cheaper than its Nikon counterpart.

Do you have a recommendation on a macro lens?

Well, I wouldn't get a macro lens as it can be very limiting.

But the Sigma 105MM F/2.8 is an old workhorse, as is the Tamron 90MM F/2.8. Both can be had for about 300 bucks used.

Good lense to have (in order).

50mm F1.8
Used Nikon 80-200 F2.8
Sigma 18-50 HSM F2.8
Tokina 11-16 F2.8 or Tokina 12-24 F4

The Sigma 18-50 is a wannabe macro (3:1), but if you still need a macro I would go for the Sigma 105mm F2.8.

You should read the thread on here that is currently discussing name brand over 3rd party.. And keep in mind that since you have the focus motor built-in, you won't need any USM lenses. Of course everyone is recommending the f2.8 lenses, and those are surely nice and fast, but if you're on a budget you can still have great fun without taking out a second mortgage.. I'm only doing this for fun, and not taking it too seriously, so if you just want to spend a couple hundred you can still take some great pictures.

I have the Tamron 55-200 AF, and I love it.. That's a good range.
I also have the Sigma 70-300, and love that one as well.. You can have both for under $300, and if you're not counting pixels or making wall-size posters, you'll love them..

You can also get a 1.7 or 2x teleconverter to play with. I have a Tamron that has the CPU contacts as well as the screw drive, and it's fun to play with. Cheap, too, but gives you some nice range outdoors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back