What's new

lenses

vagelism22678

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Greece
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to all.
I am totally newbie to photography. I would like to ask what these numbers on lenses mean? For example 55X100 and so on!
What is the most appropriate lens for each kind of work?
Thank you all for your time.
Regards
Vangelis.
 
Here are some Nikon lens examples:


AF 50 mm f/1.8D
  • AF means Auto Focus (if the camera body it's attached to has an auto focus motor. Entry level Nikon's don't have a focus motor.)
  • 50 mm is the focal length. This lens is not a zoom lens. It's is known as a "prime" lens.
  • f/1.8 describes the largest aperture the lens can be opened to.
  • D is a designation Nikon uses to let the buyer know the lens transmits distance information to the cameras microprocessor.
  • Aperture, or the size of the lens opening, is just one of the triad of adjustment that control an exposure. Shutter speed and ISO are the other 2 parts of the exposure triad.
AF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G
  • AF-S means Auto Focus - using a Silent Wave Motor that is in the lens. (Can be used on all Nikon's made today.
  • 18-55 mm mean the focal length of the lens can be changed by the user. Also known as a 'zoom' lens.
  • f/3.5-5.6 means this lens has a variable aperture. When the lens is at 18mm the maximum aperture you can use is f/3.5. When zoomed to 55 mm the maximum aperture you can use is f/5.6. This change in maximum aperture is a mechanical attribute of the internal design of the lens. If the lens is set to maximum aperture when at 18mm the lens automatically adjusts the aperture to a progressively smaller lens opening. So at 30 mm the aperture may be at f/4.
  • G is Nikon's designation that means the lens does not have a manually adjustable aperture ring. Aperture can only be adjusted by the camera.
AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S is as before
  • 70-200 mm as before indicates this is a zoom lens.
  • f/2.8 indicates this is a constant aperture zoom lens. F/2.8 can be used at both 70 mm and 200 mm. The constant aperture capability significantly increases the production and purchase costs for this type of lens.
  • G is as before.
 
I've been shooting since 1958 and now I teach a few photography classes at a local community college and I have never seen a "55X100" designation. I noticed you were from Greece and thought it must be a European style and then the answer came from North Carolina not too far south of my Maryland location. It's great to learn new stuff!
 
You also might see numbers like 58mm or 67mm on the front, which indicate the diameter of filter thread you need to use for any filters you attach to that lens.
 
I've been shooting since 1958 and now I teach a few photography classes at a local community college and I have never seen a "55X100" designation. I noticed you were from Greece and thought it must be a European style and then the answer came from North Carolina not too far south of my Maryland location. It's great to learn new stuff!

:lol:

I was just guessing, but I believe thats what he is talking about.
 
I agree that a designation of 55X100 seems to be a zoom focal length, but in the same breath, seems a bit of an odd FL for Nikon. While the useage of 55X100 seems very European, the fact it's metric is no suprise. (Why, of why didn't we go metric back in the 60's as promised?)

IMO, the more important number is the aperture. A constant f/2.8 is much more meaningful than the focal length (FL) for zoom lenses.
 
Here are some Nikon lens examples:


AF 50 mm f/1.8D
  • AF means Auto Focus (if the camera body it's attached to has an auto focus motor. Entry level Nikon's don't have a focus motor.)
  • 50 mm is the focal length. This lens is not a zoom lens. It's is known as a "prime" lens.
  • f/1.8 describes the largest aperture the lens can be opened to.
  • D is a designation Nikon uses to let the buyer know the lens transmits distance information to the cameras microprocessor.
  • Aperture, or the size of the lens opening, is just one of the triad of adjustment that control an exposure. Shutter speed and ISO are the other 2 parts of the exposure triad.
AF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G
  • AF-S means Auto Focus - using a Silent Wave Motor that is in the lens. (Can be used on all Nikon's made today.
  • 18-55 mm mean the focal length of the lens can be changed by the user. Also known as a 'zoom' lens.
  • f/3.5-5.6 means this lens has a variable aperture. When the lens is at 18mm the maximum aperture you can use is f/3.5. When zoomed to 55 mm the maximum aperture you can use is f/5.6. This change in maximum aperture is a mechanical attribute of the internal design of the lens. If the lens is set to maximum aperture when at 18mm the lens automatically adjusts the aperture to a progressively smaller lens opening. So at 30 mm the aperture may be at f/4.
  • G is Nikon's designation that means the lens does not have a manually adjustable aperture ring. Aperture can only be adjusted by the camera.
AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G
  • AF-S is as before
  • 70-200 mm as before indicates this is a zoom lens.
  • f/2.8 indicates this is a constant aperture zoom lens. F/2.8 can be used at both 70 mm and 200 mm. The constant aperture capability significantly increases the production and purchase costs for this type of lens.
  • G is as before.

Thanks...surfing around pays off here.
 
I've been shooting since 1958 and now I teach a few photography classes at a local community college and I have never seen a "55X100" designation. I noticed you were from Greece and thought it must be a European style and then the answer came from North Carolina not too far south of my Maryland location. It's great to learn new stuff!

No Sir.
It was just and example ... I do not know if it exists 55X100!
Thank you
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom