raaskohx10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$baby portrait.jpg

Obviously I've done something wrong in post processing but can't figure out what it is. The picture is available for editing. Looking forward to your version of editing it. Exif data has been given below:

camera: Canon EOS 550D
f/stop: f/5
exposure time: 1/20 sec
iso: 3200
focal lenght: 131 mm
lens: canon EF-S 55-250 mm
sub dictance: 1.3 m
flash: fired

Last edited:
Way too tightly framed...

Flash glare is terrible...

Too much green

Pulled green, added a touch of cyan, lightened it up a bit, and did a small amount of softening on skin irregularities (this is difficult since we have no idea of what the childs skin color is really like... and there are no true whites or blacks to use as a gauge)

$baby-portraitxx1.jpg

Let's improve this child portrait

I'm afraid I can't pull back some to widen the frame, square the lens to the face, and wake the child.

Oh, and adjust yer WB.

But you could do all those things.

I'm afraid I can't pull back some to widen the frame, square the lens to the face, and wake the child.

Oh, and adjust yer WB.

The shot was intentionally framed tight to show a close up of face and the intent was to highlight how peacefully babies sleep. No wry faces, no pulling of facial mucles, and no signs of any worries or tension. Yes, I did try to adjust the white balance but couldn't find grey in the shot so didn't mess with it. Any other suggestions, pl?

Oh, and adjust yer WB.

The shot was intentionally framed tight to show a close up of face and the intent was to highlight how peacefully babies sleep. No wry faces, no pulling of facial mucles, and no signs of any worries or tension. Yes, I did try to adjust the white balance but couldn't find grey in the shot so didn't mess with it. Any other suggestions, pl?

Yes.. maybe set a white balance BEFORE shooting? Very helpful!

Oh, and adjust yer WB.

I've set the white balance to "auto" becasue I often forgot to change it before every shot.

I've set the white balance to "auto" becasue I often forgot to change it before every shot.

BAD idea! Please google Custom White Balance.... Auto might get it right 50% of the time, probably less!

I like what Charlie has done with the cheeks. Not sure how he did it, but one easy way I've found with babies (and other tender thingies) is to just turn down the clarity on Adobe Camera Raw. Below is an edit with clarity turned way down (the only other change is in color balance, you can see the changes in the EXIF data).

$baby portraitEdit.jpg

Since the colors are fubared you can always try to save with black and white. :)

here's 3 varieties...subject to taste as far as contrast/tone is concerned.

$baby portrait-1.jpg

$baby portrait-2.jpg

$baby portrait-3.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back