Lets talk desktop vs laptop for Lightroom and Photoshop

I use both for all my photo editing, however I do 99% on the laptop. I'm not a tech guy and for me whatever works to suit the job I have to do is all that matters. I do agree that a desktop is fair easier to self-upgrade, but I do have a computer person that does mine when needed.

Only reason I even consider 32 gigs is because im loading 40 photos at once for the panoramic. I guess I can start with 16 and see how it does. My 8 gig computer crashes from running out of ram right now.

Really? That sounds like an issue with that particular program or maybe drivers.

I've been loading (very slowly mind you) 50 photos into Autopano Giga with 4GB 800 MHz RAM

It sounds like you simply haven't been enlightened. Autopano Giga uses any ram you throw at it. I thought I was doing fairly well with my small panoramas and 4GB of ram. It didn't take too long to render. When I upped it to 16GB it used all 16GB and got MUCH faster for those same small panoramas.

Panorama programs and image stacking programs seem to love the memory.

Only reason I even consider 32 gigs is because im loading 40 photos at once for the panoramic. I guess I can start with 16 and see how it does. My 8 gig computer crashes from running out of ram right now.

Really? That sounds like an issue with that particular program or maybe drivers.

I've been loading (very slowly mind you) 50 photos into Autopano Giga with 4GB 800 MHz RAM

It sounds like you simply haven't been enlightened. Autopano Giga uses any ram you throw at it. I thought I was doing fairly well with my small panoramas and 4GB of ram. It didn't take too long to render. When I upped it to 16GB it used all 16GB and got MUCH faster for those same small panoramas.

Panorama programs and image stacking programs seem to love the memory.

I know.

But it's weird that his computer is telling that he ran out of RAM. I've never had that problem before when I used PS to stitch large panoramas.

The only time I've found RAM to be a true bottleneck that can crash a program is when I'm rendering an HD file in After Effects.

Itll get the job done, but I get the error message system is out of ram and everything but photoshop crashes out. Of course im loading Raw files into the program, going to mess around with jpegs today and see if that fixes the issue.

Does it say RAM or memory?

If memory have you cleaned out the folder where PS puts it's temp files?

Desktop anytime unless you have to use pc in other places then home. Even then you might use remote desktop if proper connection is available. More power for less $.

Itll get the job done, but I get the error message system is out of ram and everything but photoshop crashes out. Of course im loading Raw files into the program, going to mess around with jpegs today and see if that fixes the issue.

Does it say RAM or memory?

If memory have you cleaned out the folder where PS puts it's temp files?

I was going to ask similar thing, are you sure it says you are going out of RAM, or maybe HDD space or maybe swap space photoshop use. When i use photoshop to load huge files and i have 4gb ram, it takes out all 4 gb ram and than start taking hdd space to fill out for missing ram. I had problems earlier when i had small hdd and small free space on it. It takes all space on hdd and everything freeze until i close photoshop. Now i have 2 250gb hdd's in raid and photoshop sometime can take up to 20gb on hdd and other things will work normal.

32bit or 64bit version of Photoshop?

My biggest gripe with Deep Sky Stacker is that it is a 32bit program. Not a problem for most astronomy cameras, but the D800's 36mpxl files are too large to stack due to architecture limitations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back