Level for canon 5 d mark II

hensonbrandy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there a product out there that acts as a level for dslr's? I have a canon 5 d mark ii. I thought I saw something that goes in the hot shoe and acts as a level, but I will still be wanting to use my flash.

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why do you need one? I mean you have a lot of pixels. You can easily level the photos when you process it.

Rephargotohp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you are shooting architecture it is wise to level your camera to prevent angular distortions ( Yeah I know, Lightroom) and panoramas

You may want to just get a small spirit level to place on your lens on setting up at a hardware store

Overread

has a hat around here somewhere
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
overread.wordpress.com
Photos OK to edit
Hotshoe Spirit level

Ebay has loads and they are very cheap (and generally ones like Manfrotto brand options are higher priced and only so because they cream off a lot more profit from them).

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Photos OK to edit
You don't mention if you're wanting to hand hold the camera or not.

Many tripods and tripod heads have a level built into them.

Strobed light (flash) is usually a lot more effective if it is NOT on the camera hot shoe.

Joey_Ricard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Although I do not advertise this portion of my business, I do govt, mechanical and engineering imagery. All structure based in some way or the other.
I simply use a small level (lwalmart, lowes etc) and place under the body and then on the side. Always on a tripod of course, and then review the image to make sure lines are good depending on what lens I use. I do a lot of this with a wide angle lens and of course fix till my heart is content in PS. Yes, I do stitch images as well depending on the shots. but you can get a tripod head with a level, but that wont necessarily level the body. Remember, the body has to attach to the plate and then the tripod. Use the body.

Last edited:

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you are going to stitch images, you'll want the tripod head to be level as well. To level the head, you can use the tripod legs, or get a leveling plate to go between the tripod and the head. They are especially useful when setting up in a location with uneven terrain.

Most reactions

New Topics