Life's simple pet peeves

Thankfully, my week (so far) has not been so bad! My car is not failing me (as yet), and I hope it will stay kind and faithful for several years to come.

Now, back to the pet peeves.

One of mine is that of creating a plural word by using the apostrophe + s.
Sorry, but that really is a peeve of mine. (And I understand the word as something that is insignificant in the first place, but quite niggling, all the same?).

Use of the apostrophe + s is the English genitive form. But ---

--- NOT the German one! The German genitive form comes without the apostrophe (which is how we arrive at yet another of my pet peeves ;) - since too many Germans use the British genitive form in written language these days).

Oh.
And yet another one!
The use of the English language (in a way that no English speaking person would ever speak, for example) in German advertisments, in the shops, in public places like train stations, bus stations, airports, etc., only to appear more "international".

When you try to tell your property manager that there is still something wrong with your washing machine even after they've sent a guy out to fix it, and the guy says that the new part he put in just needs to be "broken in" and that's why it's making a high pitched squealing noise on the spin cycle and smelling like burnt rubber.

So you take him at his word since he is supposed to be a professional after all and continue to use the washer and then go downstairs after doing a few loads to check on the one currently in there just in time to see SMOKE filling your kitchen from the little laundry closet. :er: :angry1:

who/whom
they're/their/there
then/than

I hated it that in the USA you have to pay for your fuel before you fill the car up. I mean seriously! How frikkin annoying. Then if you don't use the amount you paid for you have to go in again anyway and get change!!! ARGHGHGH!

And, I hate speed limiting on my internet.

and.... I hate it when there's a bit of condensation in your fridge and it runs down the back to the bottom vege drawer and all your veges go soggy... or they just plain freeze coz the fridge decided to turn in to a freezer for some damn reason.

What gas station did you use? Here you can either pay inside after you get the gas *if they are open* or pay with a credit card, no need to go inside. I think they preauthorize $75 or something, but only charge the actual amount. With the cost of gas, that preauthorize may have to be raised to $150.

I also dislike it when people pull out infront of you and then take their time to excellerate or dont do the speed limit, while there is no one behind you.

I could own this thread....i'm divorced!

People who don't use the "Search" function before asking a question....

BTW, which is better, Canon or Nikon?

In forums: folks who don't take time to read an IP carefully before commenting.
In forums where typing out what you want instead of abbreviating things is extremely simple, my pet peeve is people who use the abbreviations assuming that it is easy to understand.

Why do I need to take the time to read an Internet Provider carefully before commenting? I don't care what internet provider you use. :confused:

Most reactions

Back