Light modifying questions

Taylor510ce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have two main questions

1) IF you do not have an assistant, does anyone have any creative ways for holding up reflectors aside from buying some fancy expensive stand and holder?

2) If I did buy the fancy stand and holder mentioned about, what is the best ( or creative ) way to ensure the wind does not knock it over outdoors, and likewise for my light stand with umbrella and flash.

I don't mind DIY, but at the same time, I don't want to appear like a hack to people.

Thanks for any input.

1. some of the stands are not that expensive

2. There is not much to keep a stand from blowing over in the wind. Light winds you can stabilize the stand, heavy winds you go inside...

I have two main questions

1) IF you do not have an assistant, does anyone have any creative ways for holding up reflectors aside from buying some fancy expensive stand and holder?

2) If I did buy the fancy stand and holder mentioned about, what is the best ( or creative ) way to ensure the wind does not knock it over outdoors, and likewise for my light stand with umbrella and flash.

I don't mind DIY, but at the same time, I don't want to appear like a hack to people.

Thanks for any input.
Use ankle weights to help keep stands upright. You can get them from Wal-Mart: Walmart.com: Gold's Gym 10 LB Ankle Weights: Exercise & Fitness

Once it gets windy enough, nothing will ensure your stands, umbrellas, or reflectors will stay together.

Rectangular reflectors work better than round reflectors.

Hit Youtube and watch some location shoot videos.

4858766160_8b042ed1d3_o.jpg

I use that big scrim on the right a lot! I have a C-stand complete with a 18lb. sandbag on it and it keeps that 3X6ft. sail on the ground.

Have you seen the "Sandwich board" or "A-frame" type of reflectors designed for location portraiture? They prop themselves up...just like an A-frame sandwich board sign...they can be spiked to the ground, and they are almost impossible to knock over. There's a guy in the USA selling a kit with plans for these, but I cannot for the life of me recall his name. He does boatloads of senior location shoots, and he's really quite talented. He is well-known in his region as a top high school senior photog, and his A-frame type reflector system is used to great advantage in his outdoor shoots.

Basically, it is like two, identically-sized rectangular panels, hinged at the top...the bases are opened up, and boom! You have a reflector! No need for light stand or booms.

A

Carry some empty cotton bags - like the ones used for sand-bagging....

If needed, you can almost always find rocks to fill them with and lay over the legs of your stands............ it helps keep the equipment load down..:D

Have you seen the "Sandwich board" or "A-frame" type of reflectors designed for location portraiture? They prop themselves up...just like an A-frame sandwich board sign...they can be spiked to the ground, and they are almost impossible to knock over. There's a guy in the USA selling a kit with plans for these, but I cannot for the life of me recall his name. He does boatloads of senior location shoots, and he's really quite talented. He is well-known in his region as a top high school senior photog, and his A-frame type reflector system is used to great advantage in his outdoor shoots.

Basically, it is like two, identically-sized rectangular panels, hinged at the top...the bases are opened up, and boom! You have a reflector! No need for light stand or booms.

A

I'm trying to google search for this, but I can't find anything. Do you happen to know the name of the guy that sells these?

A

Nice, that would be fairly easy to DIY on the cheap too. Thanks for the tip, I will have to try to look them up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back