Light patterns

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to get directional light, Rembrandt, broad or short.. this is all outside using OCF but I can never get it. I thought maybe my light source was too big but I see others use the same and get what I'm after. What am I doing wrong?

Without a photo as an example, it's exceptionally difficult to know what,exactly, it is that you are not doing correctly; there could be any number of things you're doing poorly. A photo example,. or two, or three, and the desired lighting pattern you were trying to achieve, and some technical data (light modifier type, distance,exposure information (ISO/f/stop/shutter speed),

You want directional light, which is a GOOD thing! I have seen a small number of your recent outdoor, strobe-lighted shots lighted with the AD600, a powerful portable flash + a gelled speedlight, and I have also seen you shooting at wide f/stops, like f/3.2...my GUESS, and this is only a guess based on a lot of years shooting photos, is that your lack of directional light might stem from the use of too wide of an f/stop and too slow of a shutter speed for the ambient light levels (f/3.2 and 1/125 second is a generous exposure).

Because of the wide f/stops you've been using, with the 135/2 Canon L lens, I think that maybe you're getting TOO MUCH ambient light into the shots, and the strobe is possibly even being over-exposed. The overall, net result is a lack of directionality; my guess/gut feeling is that in order to get the desired directionality, you need to close down the aperture, to a smaller f/stop, more like f/6.3, at the ISO and speeds you have been using; THAT will, immediately, sublimate or even eliminate the effect of ambient daylight, and will, immediately, turn your portraits into what is known as flash-as-main-light shots. Additionally, you might try upping the shutter speed if possible, which will darken the background areas that are not lighted by the flash.

Again...just going by what I have seen you posting this week, your outdoor portraits shot with the Canon 6D and the superlative Canon EF 135/2-L lens, and the AD600 + gelled speedlight, this is my speculation as to why you're getting less directionality than you want from your flash lighting; I think you're getting a LOT of fill light from the ambient lighting, and that's making the electronic flash look "flat" and directionless.

Derrel is right, if you are using an under powered speed light, about 80 watt seconds, in full day light with a gel that eats some power, If you are shooting near wide open on a fast lens, and are restricted to a fairly slow flash sync speed of 1/200 your flash is being washed out. A solution I regularly use to shoot 1/30 sec at 2.8 or 3.2 and to knock down ambient, use a vari ND filter to knock down th entire scene then light the areas you want lit. Unfortunately, 80 watt seconds isn' t nearly enough. If you gang 4 of those $500 lights you have 320 watts seconds for $2, 000. But you are sorely underpowered I will have a 640 ws Einstein pegged. I would add an overlapping fill also. If you have a sekonic meter, it will tell you what percentage contribution to the shot i s strobe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back