light room 4 VS. PS elements 11 VS. full PS

devaji108

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys I am pretty new to PP work and photog in general. I don't want to depend on PP to get good shoots but i know it a really helpful tool to have and use.
so my question is...
I have PS elements 11 and still learning how to use it mostly just work in the guided workflow but really want to stat doing more with my pics... the B & W conversion is just so so...
I do like some of the features of LR but not sure if worth it to change from PS.E 11
maybe just jump in to the full PS?? but that seams like a really big learning curve....
is there more plug in for PS. E11.
I know there is no "best" software...just thinking out loud.

any help/feedback would be great!

LR4

PS has a STEEP learning curve. Baby steps...

PSE and PS = Apple
LR = Orange

LR is more about workflow. PS about editing. I'll let other elaborate more on the differences.

Elements 11's Camera Raw uses much of the same edit rendering engine - Adobe Camera Raw 7 - that Lightroom 4's Develop module uses.
So in effect, you already have a large part of Lightroom's editing capability.
Adobe Camera Raw differences between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements

CS 6 Camera Raw also uses ACR 7.

In any event, PsE 11 has tools, features, and functions Lightroom does not have, like the Selection tools, Layers, blending modes, and much, much more.
Lightroom was designed as a compliment to Photoshop, not a replacement for Photoshop.

You can trail all of them for 30 days from the Adobe website - just download and use with all features for the 30 days and if you want them at the end just pay up and you can simply input your CD key and keep using the program (if you buy from a store you can just use the CD key with the store copy when it arrives).

Lightroom - this is library organising combined with RAW processing. The RAW processor is the same as the other programs, but it has a few enhanced features as part of lightroom that allows you to work with a bit more detail and some selective editing methods. Many have found that they do a vast majority of their processing in Lightroom and that its more than capable of giving you print ready photos without further editing being needed (of course this depends upon your workflow and what you do of course). It's a good photography focused software package for not too much costs.

Elements - stripped down photoshop - it will do nearly all that you want and works with many photoshop plugins (it won't work with actions) as well. Whilst it has some limitations its certainly more than good enough for most photographers needs and is a good budget software approach to either doing it all or supporting lightroom as the more specific editing package for those photos that need it after lightroom processing

PS - the full photoshop is the complete package, whilst it hasn't got the same library organising structure as Lightroom it does have all the features and options. For detailed and more complex work its the tool of the trade and comes without limitations that elements does and with a more streamlined and easy to use interface than some of the competition (eg the freeware program GIMP).

In the end Lightroom works for most of a photographers needs - supported with elements or photoshop and its all you need. Elements is the cheapest and will work well, but lacks some refinement and some features are either missing or restricted (eg bit depth is capped at 8 instead of 16). Photoshops is the most fully featured, complex and powerful and the most expensive (note that just because it can be complex doesn't mean that you must use all its complex features - you'd need only use what you need to )

LR4 followed by PS.... just my vote
icon10.gif

wow thanks for your thought now I am more confused than ever....
so are you saying that there might be say... plug ins for better B&W conversion for elements 11. if so were can i find them?
I have never shoot in RAW bit I think i would like to try it. does E11 have a RAW enhance tool or import thingy...I know I am really new to this stuff :)

also say I have LR4 does some work there then can I import to E11? or would that just be redundant? as pointed out that E11 pretty much uses the same tech...
my over all goal is to get good with one ( if I can get it all done with plung ins from E11) or 2 programs.
to be honest CS kinda scare me...may be to much but on the other hand gives room to grow in it....

can someone please explain the deff. between workflow and PP? i thought they were kinda the same. workflow was what you did in PP. again I am new to all this..:)

also anyone know were I can get video lessons for PS Elements 11?

thanks for helping out this noob!!

but it has a few enhanced features as part of lightroom that allows you to work with a bit more detail and some selective editing methods.
Could you be more specific regarding Lightroom and "with a bit more detail and some selective editing methods" ? At least relative to CS 6 Camera Raw and the Develop module?

Y but it has a few enhanced features as part of lightroom that allows you to work with a bit more detail and some selective editing methods.
Could you be more specific? At least relative to CS 6 Camera Raw and the Develop module?

I might be comparing it a little too strongly to the stripped down elements version of RAW processing. But I was under the impression that some of the selective area editing features of Lightroom 4 were not part of the RAW processing section of Photoshop

Y but it has a few enhanced features as part of lightroom that allows you to work with a bit more detail and some selective editing methods.
Could you be more specific? At least relative to CS 6 Camera Raw and the Develop module?

I might be comparing it a little too strongly to the stripped down elements version of RAW processing. But I was under the impression that some of the selective area editing features of Lightroom 4 were not part of the RAW processing section of Photoshop
CS 6 Camera Raw has the same local edit Adjustment Brush and TAT (Targeted Adjustment Tool) that Lightroom has, if those are what you were referring to.

OK so it looks like there are plugins foe E11 but I can't seam to find a easy to understand list ( only ben looking for a few min. now )
any one got a link?
what i am looking for is a better B&W tool for E11...is there one out there?? from watching a few photog. training vids on B&W seams LR4 is better in that area??

D/L LR4 trial to see if I like it. but don't really want to spend the $$ on it of E11 can to the same stuff.
is there any E11 training videos out there anyone know of?
thanks SO MUCH!

Nik makes Silver Efex Pro, which is widely used for BW. Not sure if it's compatible with Elements 11 but it works with PS and LR. Topaz Labs also makes plugins. If you don't know Photoshop, getting CS6 won't help. Once you master essential techniques in Elements, it might be worth a look. Photoshop is for the heavy lifting. LR is for RAW workflow, organization, color profiling and Camera RAW. It doesn't have the layer power of PS. If you're not shooting RAW, it's a good idea to start learning it. Manipulating JPEG is like trying to change a painting that's already dry.

^ yeah I do want to shoot Raw from now on....i D/L LR4 30 day trail and will work with that and ps.E11 and if I like it i'll buy it.
I agree CS6 is just to much for me right now. i'll stick with some easier programs for now with the idea up going To CS down the road.
but for now I think psE11 will get me by....

thanks you all for the feedback !
happy shooting :)

Most reactions

Back