Light Trails: Long Exposure in Minneapolis

Preston,

Nice work on all of these. I know this area well as I live in Minneapolis also, you'd probably recognize about 75% of my photos taken somewhere downtown. I do have to know one thing though...The first shot, did you take that from the Franklin Ave. bridge? the one with the fence surrounding it? Next to the electric fetus? If so, I was at this same spot a month or so ago and was a little upset by the fence. I tried shooting through it, but to no avail. I also tried to hoist my tripod on top of the concrete bridge railing, but it was getting pretty late at night and parts of that area arent the best in town.

Anyway, very nice work, I like'em all!

Matty-Bass said:
1 and 3 are awesome! How did you get the building to have like a specific area turn orange? Were the lights just lit up on that spot in particular? :mrgreen:

Yeah, that building (I think its the Wells Fargo bldg, perhaps crystalview can help me out on that one) Is always lit up quite brightly at the top, and when its hazy or snowing it makes the sky glow orange.

crystalview said:
The first shot, did you take that from the Franklin Ave. bridge? the one with the fence surrounding it? Next to the electric fetus? If so, I was at this same spot a month or so ago and was a little upset by the fence. I tried shooting through it, but to no avail. I also tried to hoist my tripod on top of the concrete bridge railing

Yep, you nailed it. That’s probably the best spot I've found so far to get light trails along with the city skyline. To pull it off through the fence I actually disconnected one of the legs of my tripod, stuck it through the fence, and used some zip ties to make sure it didn’t wobble around at all. That way I could get the lens right up to the chain link. My 28mm is just about the right size to pull it off with no wire in the pic, as long as you’re careful on positioning.

crystalview said:
but it was getting pretty late at night and parts of that area arent the best in town.

haha, tell me about it. I live less than two blocks from that bridge...corner of Clinton & Franklin to be exact.

niice! i wanted to do this last night but didn't know how. for the D50 what mode and setting should it be? i see you got ISO at 100 but D50 only goes to 200.. how can i acheive this?

i love them all! nice exposures.
the second resembles the empire state building...nice glow!

Most reactions

Back