Light weight tripod

Lowrider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Am looking for a light weight tripod and would appreciate any recommendations. Currently have an Induro CX214 with a Manfrotto 322RC2 head. Shooting a Canon 60D and the Canon 70-200 2.8 is the heaviest load right now. Looking for something like to take when backpacking. Every ounce counts when you have to carry it and everything else. Would like to maintain compatibility with the camera plates so I can easily switch back and forth. One I looked at this weekend is the Manfrotto 190CXPRO4.

Thoughts?

I am also looking for a tripod. What do you think about the 322RC2 head working with the 70-200mm glasses? The 496RC2 head is cheaper on B&H. But the 322RC2 easy to use.

The 322rc2 is a nice head but I found it sucked with my bigger glass. No matter how much i adjusted it, it tended to "drift". I hate to compose a scene then have it sag down slightly :(
It was great for video and smaller glass though :)
I would still have mine if it hadn't gotten stolen!

I always recommend the Gitzo GT1542T. It weighs at a mere 1.0kg / 2.1 lbs. and with an amazing load capacity of 8.0kg / 17.6 lbs.

I do use the 055xporb but rarely, it's actually pretty heavy after 2-3 hours of shooting. But other than that it's an excellent tripod and can see it lasting 5-10 years.

You are right, this set total weight 6.8lb. A lot of weight for outdoor & carry around.

Gitzo GT1542T + Gitzo GH1780QR cost over $700, weight less than 3lb. Will I get tired of carry 3.8lb extra weight and end up spending $700 on my third tripod if I go for the Manfrotto 055XPROB + Manfrotto 498RC4 this time? Possible.

lowrider, I use a gitzo ocean traveller for my hiking and general shooting. Its 3 lbs with the ball head, no quick release plate.

Its worked well and great for the kind of nasty tripod destroying locations I bring my gear to. I like being able to strip it down and clean out the dirt easilly.

I recently got Manfrotto Tripod and a head and I love them. When I was searching my 1st priority was weight and second that it needed to hold my camera and lens in portrait view wiout too much vibration and without tipping over. So far I've been shooting in various extreme conditions and the setup has never given me any trouble.

Oh and my 190CXPRO3 only weights 2.84 lbs wihout head and doesn't cost anywhere near Gitzo's price.

Definitely Gitzo legs, I'm not sure between series 1 and series 2 though at 200mm, that would be a tough call.

I'd recommend looking into Markins heads however. They have the best strength to weight ratio in the business, and are spot on precise, no drift, no movement while you're locking down. I use a Q10. I bet you could get away with the Q3 though, it's impressively light.

Vanguard Alta+ 255CT @ $289.99

Load Capacity8.8 lb (4 kg)
Head Attachment FittingStandard 1/4"-20 with a 3/8"-16 adapter that stores in the base plate
Maximum Height49.2" (129.0 cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended43.25" (109.9 cm)
Minimum HeightNot specified by manufacturer
Folded Length15.55" (39.5 cm)
Weight2.56 lb (1.16 kg)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_ALTA_255CT_Alta_255CT_5_Section_Tripod.html

Heres a Benro thats under $100.00
  • 56.3" Maximum Height
  • Anti-Rotation Legs w/ Flip Locks
  • Only 17.7" Folded Length
  • Reversible Grooved Center Column
  • Weighs Only 2.6 lb
  • Supports Loads Up to 8.8 lb
Benro Classic A0580F 4-Section Aluminum Tripod A0580F B&H Photo

Lots to research! Thanks to all that posted.
I like the 322 so far. It did just fine with the 60D and the 70-200. That is certainly under the rated weight limit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back