Lighting & Camera Setup for my Hobby Photos - Advice needed.

craynerd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I registered on this site many years ago when I was showing an interest in photography, despite still having an interest, I just don`t have the time at present but I would like some advice on the ideal setup for a more specific photo shot.

My hobby is metal working, making model steam engines, IC engines and hopefully finishing a clock I have started. I like to photograph the stages of the build. A lot of people do this and are much better than me, I don`t do it necessarly to exemplify methods, I just do it as an online diary of what I have done for me to look back at.

www.raynerd.co.uk that is my website and you can see the photos of the work I take.

I`m only using a cheap point and shoot Canon A640, often in macro mode. I actually do have an old DSLR Nikon D70 that I could borrow back of my grandad which I purchased off a member here about 4years ago.

If you look at some of my photos:

oneway3.jpg

oneway1.jpg

oneway12.jpg

webvalve2.jpg

I know the subject matter probably means nothing to most of you but these parts or full machines take hours and hours of work building and they look 100 times better in real life, the camera just isn`t picking them up.

I take most indoors and I`m quite prepared to set aside a little section of my workshop as a small photo booth with correct lighting for shots of small parts or even engines (the complete things aren`t that big, 30cm x 30cm max!)

So at present I`m just putting them in the best light I have in my workshop or try and take them outside, pointing and clicking. What setup could I put together to get the best shots of my parts. Either using the canon A640 point and click or the old DSLR Nikon D70.

I`d appreciate any advice.

Here are some hobbiests who produce excellent photos and I`m trying to get close to:

Horizontal Steam Engine from Rudy Kouhoupt's Prints (I guess the domain name explains why he is good at photography!)

Velvet V4 - Photography by Timothy Evans - Portadown again another photographer as a second hobby!

I appreciate I`ll probably never get as good as these shots but if I could get close I`d be happy.

Chris

I agree; given that these are relatively small items, a medium-large light tent should allow you to produce some excellent shots.

You will find the book "Light, Science, Magic" very helpful!

A light tent is a wonderful suggestion. What was missing was the lighting required to produce high end images (not the camera). It's all about lighting IMO. Since your subjects will be inanimate, you could easily use continuous "cool" lights rated ~5500K. You may also need some diffusion material, some flags (black poster board) and small mirrors to direct the light onto you products. I would consider two lights as a minimum and three to do the job properly.

A light tent is a wonderful suggestion. What was missing was the lighting required to produce high end images (not the camera). It's all about lighting IMO. Since your subjects will be inanimate, you could easily use continuous "cool" lights rated ~5500K. You may also need some diffusion material, some flags (black poster board) and small mirrors to direct the light onto you products. I would consider two lights as a minimum and three to do the job properly.

This is good advice. You do not need to spend a bunch of money on fancy lighting- some clamp lights and daylight rated CFL's would work wonders. A light tent is a good idea for diffusion.

The second set of photo's you linked to a far better than the first, they are more of what you should be striving for in your own finished photos.

I would suggest using the D70 and this lens: Amazon.com: Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP AF/MF 1:1 Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

It will give you nice sharp images at all focal lengths. You will need to manually focus this lens on the D70 body (I am 99% sure of this) But that should not be that large of an issue given your intended subject matter. Also, a good sturdy tripod and remote shutter release would be invaluable.

Nice machine work btw.

p!nK

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ha! I thought your steam engine was a mini lathe that you use to make the parts! VERY cool work. Please post your setup and results as you find time and progress.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back