Lighting? Flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am starting to get serious about making photography a business for me, so I wanted to start collecting the ESSENTIAL gear I need to get started. Right now I have a Nikon D3000 With the kit lenses that came with it (the 17-55mm and 50-200mm) I am thinking of the next lens I want to buy somthing like this: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor Lens 2183 B&H Photo
Because right now I'm doing a lot of outdoor portraits.
and I have no idea if I need a some other flash and if so what kind, so the next step for flash would be...?

So if you could give me a list of essential gear to start gathering, it would really be helpful! please keep in mind im only 16 and money is tight lol. I just want to know what to look for. I plan on doing mostly outdoor portraits and things like that until I get studio stuff ect.

I also just invested in what I think is a pretty good tripod. Manfrotto 293 Carbon Fiber Tripod with 494RC2 MK293C4-A0RC2 B&H

THANK YOU SO MUCH PEOPLE OF THE PHOTO FOURUM!!!

If you are shooting portraits outdoors, I would suggest a longer lens than 35mm. 50mm, 85mm or even more, would be something to look at.

Do some reading here to help figure out what you might need Strobist: Lighting 101

^^ what he said
Before jumping into buying lenses specifically for Portraiture, learn about Perspective based on focal length and distance.
If you do a headshot of someone on a 35mm you'll find out their nose is unusually large .. and thus, not very flattering.
for example look at the picture example in this thread : Portrait distance in relation to focal length - PentaxForums.com

If you're planning to work out of doors, your 55-200 will do just fine. I would consider a decent speedlight & 5 in 1 reflector as my next purchases. Lighting is far more important than glass at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back