Lighting for macro photography

puiucristian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, soo I need some help.

I have a nikon D7100 and a nikon 105 mm lens, and i want to get a lighting "setup" for it that will produce a decent lighting in the photo.

I tried some "diy" stuff with the flash mounted on top (a nissin flash) and a diffuser on that, but i didn't really liked it, it was too bulky and I couldn't get over the fact that I couldn't "rotate" it when i switch from portrait to landscape, the light was fixed in that spot.

My questions are:

1. what lighting setups you guys use for macro stuff. maybe i can "steal" some ideas from you.
2. Should I make a diy macro "rig" with flas and brackets, or get a ready to use R1 kit, that is kinda small, rotates all around, but I heared some not so good things about it (6 sec recharging time, low power, etc)..

So, what do you think it's better, a R1 Kit (550 euro) or a diy rig (and some examples with real world rigs that you use It would be great).

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

A 1/4 screw thread with a ball and few double socks and double ball joints to link them together. You can then screw the flash (most flash units have a screw thread for mounting to tripods) to the ball and then the other end of the setup into the screw thread on the tripod collar on the lens.

You've now got light you can easily position forward and also rotate it if you change your angle of shooting.

If you use a few more sockets and double ball joints you can also use the tripod screw thread on the bottom of the camera if you don't have a lens collar for lens. Note this might get a little long but the RAM mount setup is designed for bikes, so it gives a good solid hold for a flash unit (a much stronger and stable hold than many cheap flash brackets do).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back