Lighting for the Christmas Portrait

pgowder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just getting started using off camera flash, so I need some help.

Here is the area:
http://flickr.com/gp/96077153@N00/5XHx31

We are going to do family portraits here on Christmas day. I want to have a few people on the stairs and some below them in front of the stairs.

And I want to make sure I light it so that you can still see the lights on the tree.

Here's what I'm working with right now. Do I need anything else?

Camera
Sony A700

1 Flash on a light stand with a shoot through umbrella

I have another Minolta flash that doesn't do wireless. So I could put it on the camera if needed.

Help please!!

Thanks!

Last edited:
To see the lights on the tree, you will need to use a slower shutter speed, perhaps 1/30th. You will need to tell everyone to be very still even after the flash goes off. Take more than one to account for movement and closed eyes, etc. I would also be careful where you place your flash so that you don't get shadows on the wall and you don't want to light people from below.

If your flash pop is enough to open up the whole room while still, providing the right lighting for the people, you could sat up the shot, pre-focus, then turn off the light and do a longer exposure to really let the christmas lights burn in. Then the people will only be light by the flash pop and you won't have to worry about subject movement.

Edit: I see that we're not dealing with off camera flash here. You might want to ignore this. Although, if the minolta swivels and there is a white wall that you can blast it off of to light the people it might works.

If your flash pop is enough to open up the whole room while still, providing the right lighting for the people, you could sat up the shot, pre-focus, then turn off the light and do a longer exposure to really let the christmas lights burn in. Then the people will only be light by the flash pop and you won't have to worry about subject movement.

Edit: I see that we're not dealing with off camera flash here. You might want to ignore this. Although, if the minolta swivels and there is a white wall that you can blast it off of to light the people it might works.
I'm am shooting off camera.

put a bunch of stuff animals on the stairs and practice.

Try Rear synch flash if you can too

That won't make the slightest bit of difference. Rear sync has an entirely different purpose.

If you say so....

Guess I will stop using it entirely then.

I offered the suggestion because I do use it for this purpose and it has helped in cases like this.

It's not THE only purpose for it. Just as it's also not THE solution either.

It's just a tool in the bag.

That won't make the slightest bit of difference. Rear sync has an entirely different purpose.
I offered the suggestion because I do use it for this purpose and it has helped in cases like this.

I can assure you that it did not help in the slightest. Something else occurred that caused you to incorrectly believe that it was a factor.

Looks good! So how did you end up lighting the test shot?
Shoot through umbrella to camera right. I have it pretty high. May have to lower it a bit when I have all the people there.

Flash was on 1/4 power
Lens 24-70mm f2.8
Shot at f4.5 for 1/60th

put a bunch of stuff animals on the stairs and practice.

Because there has already been a bunch of good informative posts, I suggest this because I want you to post funny stuffed animal Christmas portraits.

Edit: Nice test shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back