Lighting set up help

GDHLEWIS

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Morning, afternoon and good evening where ever in the world you are,

I am currently exploring more sophisticated lighting set ups. I have currently got a Nikon SB400 and two Nikon SB700's (second 700 arrived this morning hehehehe). I have also got an assortment of gels for both 700's and my ttl cable I bought a few months ago has decided to play silly bugger with me and only works with one flash instead of two (boo hiss). I currently use my 400 as a master and the 700 as a slave would this be enough for the time being? Or would I be better off buying some wireless triggers? If so what's a decent set of triggers? Iv seen pocket wizards are severely expensive and not worth the hell blazing that my wife would inflict.
I generally do Macro work atm, but have a baby on the way so will be delving in to some baby shots and possibly portrait stuff.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Radio triggers will definitely give you a LOT more creative freedom since you won't have to worry about the speedlights being able to 'see' each other (CLS relies on line of sight between units). As far as triggers go, yes, Pocket Wizards, Radio Poppers and the like are pretty pricey. For the casual home studio, I would look at either Cactus Triggers or the Yongnuo line, both of which (I believe) are available on Amazon & eBay and give a good result for the price.

Radio triggers will definitely give you a LOT more creative freedom since you won't have to worry about the speedlights being able to 'see' each other (CLS relies on line of sight between units). As far as triggers go, yes, Pocket Wizards, Radio Poppers and the like are pretty pricey. For the casual home studio, I would look at either Cactus Triggers or the Yongnuo line, both of which (I believe) are available on Amazon & eBay and give a good result for the price.

I use the Cactus which is definently much cheaper in cost and does a decent job.

Thanks for the info. gonna have to save the old pennies yet again lol

Most reactions

Back