Lighting tips for shooting food straight down ?

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I should get an arm for my tripod within the next couple of days which will enable me to shoot facing straight down.

I have a one light set up - a softbox and reflectors.

Any tips on the lighting would be much appreciated and also what to avoid would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Your title could stand a small edit. "Down" rather than "Town".

I guess my first question is why do you want to shoot food from directly above? This is fine if you want to shoot a table scene, but you've been clear that for you, it's the food.

I guess my first question is why do you want to shoot food from directly above? This is fine if you want to shoot a table scene, but you've been clear that for you, it's the food.

Variation mainly. Don't want to have 30-40 photos all shot from a 45 degree angle.

But also ..

When the arm arrives I'd like to shoot a spaghetti bolognese for example with a nice mixed salad and maybe clear cutlery. Or a bowl of parmesan ..

What light are you using now ???

General advice for lighting with food:
1. The softer the better
2. The more diffused the better

So...that means reflectors and scrims are the order of the day plus maybe a soft box or two. Also, have white shirts. If you're within 3 feet of the hero item, YOU become a reflector.

As for the issue of shooting food straight down, watch reflections and hot spots (b/c of the angle you're shooting at, especially with silverware and polished finishes on glasses and plates, watch for shadows that you and your gear cast on the food, watch for reflections of you (in everything from broth to a plate).

1. The softer the better

So...that means reflectors and scrims are the order of the day plus maybe a soft box or two. Also, have white shirts. If you're within 3 feet of the hero item, YOU become a reflector.

As for the issue of shooting food straight down, watch reflections and hot spots (b/c of the angle you're shooting at, especially with silverware and polished finishes on glasses and plates, watch for shadows that you and your gear cast on the food, watch for reflections of you (in everything from broth to a plate).

Thanks for the great tips.

I already noticed in an earlier 45% angle shot how a shirt color can change things, but had forgotten about it.

Michael

1. The softer the better

I already noticed in an earlier 45% angle shot how a shirt color can change things, but had forgotten about it.

Michael
I should get an arm for my tripod within the next couple of days which will enable me to shoot facing straight down.

Any tips on the lighting would be much appreciated and also what to avoid would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Are photographing the food hot ?
The books light science and magic ( understanding light )
Speedliters hand book shows where to place your lights .
What lens are you using ?

If the food is hot I wouldn't hang my camera and lens above hot steaming food !

You can always put something under one side of the plate to make the tilt so it still looks like your are shooting straight down.

Personally I really wonder if you really need two lights ...........This is why.

Two lights leave two or more direct reflection line, whiting out parts of the food.
This all about angles of light to the subject and to the camera....
Called family of angles << ( if you are with in certain angles of the subject you get direct reflection ) < family of angles <

Its kind of like pool balls where the shooter is doing a bank shot.
Light reflects some what like a pool ball do off the rail or a bank shot.
Except light scatters like a stream of water hitting a wall.
This really is not the best illustration .............
And the study of light is a lengthy study......... this why I suggested the books .

Because you are using a soft boxes you are scattering and reflecting your light, making your light polarized..........
When Polarized light strikes all non metallic (smooth surfaces ) it becomes polarized reflection ( AKA ) glare.
Once again if you owned the book light science and magic you would fully understand exactly what I am saying.

Dinner plate sized Tufa rock and no you cant eat it.
Sorry for the blue tint.

1. The softer the better

Michael

Thanks.

You can always put something under one side of the plate to make the tilt so it still looks like your are shooting straight down.

Personally I really wonder if you really need two lights ...........This is why.

Two lights leave two or more direct reflection line, whiting out parts of the food.
Called family of angles << ( if you are with in certain angles of the subject you get direct reflection ) < family of angles <

And the study of light is a lengthy study......... this why I suggested the books .

Because you are using a soft boxes you are scattering and reflecting your light, making your light polarized..........
When Polarized light strikes all non metallic (smooth surfaces ) it becomes polarized reflection ( AKA ) glare.
Once again if you owned the book light science and magic you would fully understand exactly what I am saying.

Sorry for the blue tint.

1. The softer the better

Michael

Thanks.

Sorry for the blue tint.

I got the book light science and magic about a month ago. Started reading it and found it very heavy going at the beginning.

Just checked it again and see that the latter part is more about the practical side of things, so will read that part first and then go back to the theory.

Lens for food? Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G

Thanks for the reply.

Good point about hot food. I cook for two days so I can photo it warm or cold with some oil painted onto parts of it,

Most reactions

Back