Lighting up a car and long exposure ideas?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've been wanting to get some pics of my father in laws falcon. I tried a long exposure just to get some ideas on how to shoot this thing at night.
8e3c78da.jpg
Now, I'm not looking for serious critique as this was just an experiment lol but I can use some ideas or pointers. Ideally, I would like to keep the same theme going( minus my house in the back) and show detail on the car. I thought about doing a long exposure and manually setting off the flashes. One on the front, one from the side, and one inside the car. Any thoughts? He loves this car so I want to get a nice shot worth printing. Thanks.

Sounds like a plan. Make sure you wear black.

Your plan should work fine, though it may take a few tries to get it right. Another way to do it is to do basically the same thing using multiple exposures, then use the best of them in a composited structure in post. There's a body of very impressive work out there using that method.

Sounds like a plan. Make sure you wear black.
Any reason on the black? I take it reflection ? If so I can set the lights up on stands, fire them wirelessly with triggers, and stay out the frame or anywhere near it.

Your plan should work fine, though it may take a few tries to get it right. Another way to do it is to do basically the same thing using multiple exposures, then use the best of them in a composited structure in post. There's a body of very impressive work out there using that method.
Cool. It's gonna be a long night when I give it a shot. Thank you !

If you shoot it where there is ambient light around you, you will less likely be seen in the photo. It is probably better to do it where there is barely any ambient light.

If you shoot it where there is ambient light around you, you will less likely be seen in the photo. It is probably better to do it where there is barely any ambient light.
I kinda like the street lights. I can do without the porch lights though lol. I figured maybe stand back like 2ft and hit the button on the transmitter to fire the flashes and use the wireless shutter release button to fire the camera( I think it has a range of 13 feet. I can probably do it in both scenarios to see how it comes out. How would you get the camera to focus on the car at night without any light what so ever ? Maybe an LED flash light ? Thanks for your advice.

Go all out, go inside the car and trigger one inside the car too LOL. If you make the shutter pretty long, you opening the door, close it, flash it will not affect the photo.

Go all out, go inside the car and trigger one inside the car too LOL. If you make the shutter pretty long, you opening the door, close it, flash it will not affect the photo.
Lol. The only way I learn something is by trying it anyway lol. If I get it wrong, I read up and try again.

Use different exposures and blend them together. Or get a cheap 500 watt work light and illuminate the car. You can still so long exposure but the detail will come back.

Jai

Most reactions

Back