Lighting, who to buy from and what should you expect

Ihatemymoney

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Cowboy 3300 watt 3 piece CFL about 2 years ago from amazon.
Amazon has always done me good, I really cant say much positive about the lights except they do help if you are really careful with them.
One of my stands broke the first time I used it I didn't know they were that light duty. :confused:

About a month ago I bought a used AB/1600 and a 13 ft light stand from a photographer I know.
I also ordered in a foldable Paul Buff soft box in. First I would like to say what a nice soft box 2nd is it was a pleasure doing business them.
So I am mix and match my lighting stuff and I put my cowboy boom on my 13 ft light stand with my ab/1600 with the paul buff soft box and broke the plastic mounting piece on cowboy boom arm. :confused:

MY 13ft Light stand was made or offered by Paul buff , so I shot them off a email telling them I need a boom for one of their Light stands.

The next day I get a Email back from Paul Buff Co saying that they don't carry a boom that will fit the 13ft light stand. :er:
The lady that sent me this email also sent me links to some boom arms that B&H carries.
Which was way cool, I ordered a Wesscott boom arm from B&H every thing fitted and I am happy.

I have ordered from Fotodiox, B&H, PAUL BUFF, and Adorama great dealings with all these companies.
I was very impress with the Email from Paul BUFF that they would suggest me going to their competition, from now on if Paul Buff has what I want they get my business first....................................
I feel no matter what, they are there to help me even if there isn't a penny in it for them.

Back to the Cowboy lighting, I can only suggest if you plan on using studio lighting for a few years I would not buy any of the cowboy products.
They are accident waiting to happen, and that is being polite.

I hope in some way this thread will be help full to few members.

As I've said at least once or thrice on this forum; 'Cowboy studio gear is of a quality that gives honest junk a bad name!'

I bought most of my early lighting stuff from Calumet Photographic, back in the mid-1980's. I bought Manfroto-made, Bogen branded stands and a boom; ALL of them still work. Over the decades I've picked up more Manfroto-made stuff; the Bogen company which was the USA importer went out of business. I bought Speedotron lights in the 1980's, and the 2000's...stuff has always been pretty reliable. I would agree, that Fotodiox, Adorama, and B&H Photo, as well as Helix Camera and Calumet Photographic are ALL first-rate outfits. I've read many stories about the Paul C. Buff company providing outstanding customer service for broken, damaged, or defective products. I've also read many stories about Cowboy Studios stuff going kaput under light use.

That's why I love you guys. Got a "deal alert" from Amazon for a Cowboy lighting kit. It had pretty good reviews on Amazon but I thought I'd check TPF before ordering. Looks like a $160 loss has been averted.

I really think there should be a "Newbs guide to lighting equipment" stickied at the top. It should discuss entry, intermediate, and advanced level lighting systems (with some brand name examples for each level), off camera flash (brands and ways to trigger), and continuous lighting (the best garbage can to throw them out in).

I nominate Derrel and John to write it up. :boogie:

I actually haven't had that bad experience with my Cowboy equipment. I don't own a lot, and yes, they are cheap… but they are still working after owning them for over 4 years. That said, since then I have bought more expensive equipment and I would recommend to anyone to save up their money and just buy the better quality equipment. I did learn a lot and hone my skills on the cheap using Cowboy stuff though...

In general going cheap on photo gear is false economy.

Retail outlets don't usually make their own gear although I have heard that Calumet and Bowens are sister companies. So, if you are looking with an eye for the price point much research needs to be done to know just which rebranded product you're getting.

For instance, some of the Flashpoint products sold from Adorama are made by a Chinese manufacturer named Mettle. As are some of the Interfit from B&H -if memory serves- along with several other names they've been branded with. Cowboy studios had one or two Mettle monolights at one time as well.

I bought a boom from Cowboy that has served me well with no hint of wearing out along with a 400ws monolight from Mettle that has given me no grief either.

The trick as I see it is in doing your research on each item and not relying on a brand name unless it's one of the major players who simply don't sell rebranded items (Manfrotto for instance).

If research isn't your thing then see the first paragraph.

P.S. ihatemymoney, just a heads up, superclamps are your friend..

super clamp : Buy or Learn at Adorama

Most reactions

New Topics

Back