Lightning again

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a good time last night, but I have to say I'm a little disgruntled.

We had this spectacular lightning storm last night. It wasn't the kind that was just one bolt going from the cloud to the ground but those ones the spread out as they are hitting. Welll, I had two softball games last night, and I thought that after the games I'll go shoot some lightning. I'm sitting there setting up and the most spectular bolt hits just a little bit north of me. I didn't think much of because I thought that I would be able to catch another one just like it because the lightning was hitting so frequently. As soon as I was setup, the dang lightning went all cloud to cloud on me. Very few bolts would go from cloud to ground. I sat there for ever and only got like four pictures worth anything. So I decided to pack up because I could smell rain and I didn't want to get wet. As soon as I was done... Another spectacular stike... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... I hate lightning sometimes. The lightning was amazing all the way home. So amazing that I almost drove off the rode multiple times because I was watching the sky. I got home and pulled out my camera and it got all lame on me again...

Here's my results

1. F2.8 is way to open to get a good shot
633039546_801229fb24.jpg

633039610_40060d0314.jpg

3. These next two compositonally terrible but I don't care
633039676_e902ec0a6c.jpg

633039706_322593db35.jpg

5. Here's a combination of the 4 just for fun.
633039760_aef1a14fd6_b.jpg

I hate you!!

I can't even remember the last time I saw 'real' lightning, all we ever get over here is sheet lightning and then its only about twice a year we get that.

#2 and #5 are my faves

Nice captures...We aren't lucky enought to get some good storms here...So I don't get the chance to shoot lightning that often. Great job here

Lightening is always an interesting subject and one that can proove difficult to capture. You have done a nice job here. My neighbors think I'm nuts when I see lightening and head outside with my camera. Whats with that?

LOL... I'm not sure. I think it has to do with that fact that we might have, as photographers, an instinct to capture a moment that overrides our sense of danger.

Lol, there still great shots, just a shame about those rouge bolts, but hey.. i just wish we would get some more decent storms in the uk, ive not managed a single shot yet!

wow, nice, .. I never managed to get decent shots of lightning yet ...

2. is clearly the most dramatic for me ... the compositional balance is a bit strange though on that one, not truly off, but ...

So, shall we call you Sir Storm, Lieutenant Lightning, or Thunder Bolt Bill?

What I mean is, you are gaining quite the reputation in this area of photography, and I believe thats a good thing! :D

Needless to say, very well done! :thumbup:

NJ

I have been trying for ages to get a decent lightning shot, no luck after I don't know how many years of trying.

#2 is sweet and the composite #5 is very well done.

Thanks guys. I'm moving to TX in a couple of weeks so we'll see if I can get any good pictures down there. I think for them the biggest part of the storms are over until next spring so I might be posting any more storm pictures until then :(.

Most reactions

Back