Lightroom 6 Question -- Reports?

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All,

So I am trying to further streamline my workflow and my wife had a great idea. When I mark photos in Lr to be deleted, can I generate a report/list of those photos? I then would like to delete the JPEG counter-parts of those photos.

Right now I am hand-writing each photo number, but a report of those I marked to delete would save a lot of time!

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, you could put them into a collection and then take them into the print module and make a 'contact sheet' style print. Just be sure to include the file name under each cell.

But before that, I have a question....why do you even have 'JPEG counterparts'?

Are you shooting RAW+JPEG? If so, why?
Are you shooting RAW and exporting JPEGS before going through and picking out the duds?

Off the top of my head, you could put them into a collection and then take them into the print module and make a 'contact sheet' style print. Just be sure to include the file name under each cell.

But before that, I have a question....why do you even have 'JPEG counterparts'?

Are you shooting RAW+JPEG? If so, why?
Are you shooting RAW and exporting JPEGS before going through and picking out the duds?

Thanks, yes I am shooting RAW+JPEG. As I deliver all the photos (except the bad ones of course to my clients, I find having a JPEG copy is much easier rather than exporting all of them from RAW to JPEG). This has worked well for me for several years and I plan to continue.

Any way of printing the contact sheet without the photos, and just the photo names? Seems like a waste of ink to print the thumbnails too.

So if you are giving the clients the jpegs from the camera, why are you also shooting RAW?

So if you are giving the clients the jpegs from the camera, why are you also shooting RAW?

While this is not the point of this thread, let me clarify.

I shoot RAW and edit a certain amount of photos to give to the client as the professionally edited and proud to share photos; though, I also send them the JPEG's I didn't edit. While some people disagree with this practice it has worked wonders for me and I have won wedding contracts over my competitors with this practice. For example, one of my favorite photos from my wedding isn't "perfect" but was given to us anyway. What I find to be a "meh" photo, might be special to the client for a reason I don't know. Therefore, they get the standard edited photos from my RAW's and a JPEG copy of all photos. It is clear in the photo release, contracts, and quotes how I operate and they know the JPEG's are not the "finished product".

So anyway, any ideas on how to get a report printed in Lr without thumbnails?

I've never seen or heard that Lightroom can generate a list or other data that isn't attached to an image. I wonder how small you could make the cells in a contact sheet type template? You might be able to get them small enough that it's not a big deal if they are printed.

I did some digging and found a 'List View' plugin. It said something about exporting metadata to/for a spreadsheet, which might work for you. List View – Lightroom Solutions

It is still my humble opinion that since you started with "So I am trying to further streamline my workflow..."
that a less confusing (more streamlined) workflow would be to just shoot everything in raw. Eliminate the the confusion of duplicate files. You can still give them jpegs of the files that you didn't edit, you would just have to export them first.

I had this exact issue for the first year I was using LR and shooting RAW+JPG. I eliminated the problem just at Big Mike noted, shoot only Raw. The other reason is that I rename all my images on Import with the date before the file name and with the camera JPG it was just too hard to keep organized the images.

I then do the basic process to all RAW images that are not flagged for deletion and export those as JPG and send to customer, then any photos that have additional processing are done on virtual copies (this is because I send the customer small JPG's, much smaller than the camera JPG, and if they come back and want prints of those then I do a new export from the image that has the same basic processing as the one I sent them initially, but now for print).

Most reactions

Back