Lightroom CC eats all my memory!

The drive could cause issues like that. Usually though the heirs with show up in a hard drive diagnostic test. I assume you ran those. If it's a name brand PC, you may want to check and use the drivers specifically for that computer off of their website for video card drivers. Lenovo usually writes their own video card drivers to optimize their hardware as a whole

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah the computer is branded by me :)

I actually haven't thought about running hard drive diagnostic yet..I've been out of the pc repair business for so long. I'm started to forget the things :(

I have a pretty decent GPU that runs my games at full res and full options at 60FPS. when i use it for PS and LR it runs like an Apple IIge.
That's the problem with gaming cards. I have a workstation card for my computer... it is optimized for graphic applications and the drivers for them darn near perfect. But it doesn't game at all, a lot of it is in the drivers

The drive could cause issues like that. Usually though the heirs with show up in a hard drive diagnostic test. I assume you ran those. If it's a name brand PC, you may want to check and use the drivers specifically for that computer off of their website for video card drivers. Lenovo usually writes their own video card drivers to optimize their hardware as a whole

I actually haven't thought about running hard drive diagnostic yet..I've been out of the pc repair business for so long. I'm started to forget the things :(
Best way to do it. I used to build a crazy amount of computer but not anymore, everyone's use tablets and phones for the most part. However, I still build a few Engineering workstations a year. I just built one for my son who's in college and the video card in that one was over 2 grand by itself, that would have been one nice lens let me tell you. He is worth it though.

Best way to do it. I used to build a crazy amount of computer but not anymore, everyone's use tablets and phones for the most part. However, I still build a few Engineering workstations a year. I just built one for my son who's in college and the video card in that one was over 2 grand by itself, that would have been one nice lens let me tell you. He is worth it though.

I've built many too, repaired a lot of people's desktops and laptops and now that computers are cheaper, people just trash their computer if it fails and buy a new one..unless its a super expensive machine but those are the ones who are capable of fixing their own. But the only ones who come (did) to me for repair were just basic PCs, the cheapest one money can buy. They weren't even worth fixing..mostly they just wanted me to recover their data. Tablets now are a thing and its what some people only need. My mom doesn't need a laptop anymore, she just uses a tablet and can do everything she did on the laptop and then some. Tech is changing and its hurting the ones who build and repair computers. Sure there will always be geeks like us that build are own machines, I still love to do it..its fun and relaxing until something doesn't work haha. But I know a few repair shops that have downsized or closed because no business anymore. It sucks.

I ran a few hard drive diagnostic tests and came back negative. No bad sectors, hard drive is fine. So maybe its just slow, lol.

I just got the new Western Digital 2TB Black drive and transferred my data over to it and did a benchmark and here are the results.

The old Western Digital Blue 640GB Sata 2 Hard Drive:
wd640gbtest.PNG

And the new Western Digital Black 2TB Sata 3 Hard Drive (connected to sata 3 port)

wd2tbtest.PNG

I think its safe to say there is quite a difference. So I loaded up Lightroom and I was very pleased to see that it loaded the catalog much faster and the images loaded much faster. What I like is that I can now browse through hundreds of photos and they just load nearly instant versus the old drive I and to wait while they loaded. This was totally worth $100 and of course, I don't have to worry about storage space for a while.

Ha ha thats what I said 6tb ago. What about the lockups?

What software is that? I wanna test all my drives

using tapatalk.

Well I've been filling up my 640gb since 2008 and it was only 70% full and that was photos, videos, music and documents. I only shoot as a hobbyist, so I haven't collected a million photos yet. So at this rate, 2TB will last me a very long time or at least until I start shooting professionally. Then I'd spend the money and build a nice raid setup with redundancy. For my needs, I have like 3-4 sources to back up to, good enough for me.

using tapatalk.

Samsung Magician that came with my SSD. I like it, works pretty well and it seems to be accurate with other ones I have tried.

using tapatalk.
Each hard drive manufacture provides free diagnostic software on their web site. You can run a fast scan or full scan. Run the full.

using tapatalk.
Each hard drive manufacture provides free diagnostic software on their web site. You can run a fast scan or full scan. Run the full.

Redundant is good.

Well I've been filling up my 640gb since 2008 and it was only 70% full and that was photos, videos, music and documents. I only shoot as a hobbyist, so I haven't collected a million photos yet. So at this rate, 2TB will last me a very long time or at least until I start shooting professionally. Then I'd spend the money and build a nice raid setup with redundancy. For my needs, I have like 3-4 sources to back up to, good enough for me.

using tapatalk.

Samsung Magician that came with my SSD. I like it, works pretty well and it seems to be accurate with other ones I have tried.

using tapatalk.

I think @Braineack was talking about the benchmark program.
Oh. For windows, I would use CrystalDiskMark.

For Mac, BlackMagic Disk Speed Test

im stupid--I HAVE CrystalDiskiMark...

Most reactions

Back