Lightroom Classic CC questions

RichieS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am considering getting this, but since my current version was the last one with perpetual license, i.e. it asked me to install CC instead aka LR6. I've been out of the loop since

1. Does this allow for editing regardless of internet or not?
  2. Will the trial overwrite my current installation?
  3. I don't shoot a lot of things, so what is the best plan?
  4. Also, since it syncs photos to their server, does it allow the ability to delete things off their server?

I just have the LR Classic (LR not LRc)

1) you can edit online or off
2) yes
3) monthly ($9.99) LR + photoshop
4) LR classic does not sync to the server. You need to back up your files (I use backblaze)

I just have the LR Classic (LR not LRc)

1) you can edit online or off
2) yes
3) monthly ($9.99) LR + photoshop
4) LR classic does not sync to the server. You need to back up your files (I use backblaze)

Where does it sync to then? Also, does that include photoshop as well?

The classic version does not sync. I have not used the cloud version. If I want to edit from a different computer I create another LRCAT and send that file to whatever computer I need, then I reupload the edited LRCAT to my main catalog. You can also create smart collections and sync them to an ipad or additional computer. If you did this, your files would sync between the devices, not really on the cloud though. Hope that makes sense bc it sure sounds complicated!

I started with Lightroom Cloud (1TB plan) - does not included Photoshop. Mobile only (Android Ipad) - all edits, image files are synched with their cloud service. Great for general edits. I switched to Lightroom Photography (20GB plan) includes Lightroom Classic - Windows-Mac; thought I would use Photoshop, but didn't. I believe each option is $9.99 each

I store my images on a cloud service and keep the Catalog local on a Windows Surface tablet - hasn't seem to impact the 20GB limit.

I use light room classic on 3 different pc’s and store all my files on a MS one drive cloud drive.

Does this allow for editing regardless of internet or not?

Yes temporarily, there's a grace period of I believe 7 days before it has to connect to verify you have a current subscription on the monthly plan, 99 days on an annual plan.

Will the trial overwrite my current installation?

I would backup and save your current catalog then uninstall the old version before doing the new install.

I don't shoot a lot of things, so what is the best plan?

You're limited to the 9.99/month plan at minimum regardless of usage.

Also, since it syncs photos to their server, does it allow the ability to delete things off their server?

Yes. Here's the link to Sync FAQ. Lightroom Classic sync FAQ . However I rarely use it because it kills my internet. One thing to remember is that LR doesn't care where you store your image files, so long as it knows where they are and can access them. Where you store them has little effect on speed, as editing instructions are in the LR catalog. Where you store the catalog is a different matter. It needs to be on the same drive as your software, preferably an SSD for speed.

I would recommend having Lightroom CC to generate Smart Previews (Library > Previews > Build Smart Previews). Everytime I accessed an image from cloud storage - Lightroom would download each image. With Smart Previews - that no longer happens. Since my setup was to view Originals only - it took some time for Lightroom to generate the Smart Previews.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back